News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help on my 318

Started by PURTBOY, February 20, 2006, 10:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PURTBOY

Hi all, I am having problems with my 318! it will set and idle fine but when you put a load on the car it kills itself by dying out, or starts backfiring throught he carb! took the carb apart and cleaned it up and put on a new bottom gasket, and the same thing! adjusted the distributor, and the same thing! when you give it the gas it backfires thru the carb or stalls! any ideas on the problem! it has a points distibutor btw! thanks in advanced for your help!

Brian

RD

did you remove the jets and clean them out?  have you checked your timing?  what year of 318 is it?  does it have one of those ceramic toothed timing sets?  they tend to break and your engine could have skipped time. 

there are so many things that could be going wrong, its hard to tell.  hopefully many others will chime in.

or your carb could just need to be replaced.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

PURTBOY

it is a 79 318, and that is all i really know about it! it came with my 68 charger and was supposed to be rebuilt, but found several mistakes with it already! i know on the carb you could turn the air screws all the way in and it would not kill the engine like it should!!! :-\

Chryco Psycho

backfiring is usually cause by the engine runni9ng to lean so I agree ti may a carb problem , do you have another carb you can try ?

PURTBOY

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 20, 2006, 10:45:19 PM
backfiring is usually cause by the engine runni9ng to lean so I agree ti may a carb problem , do you have another carb you can try ?

working on trying to aquire another carb to see if it clears up! also looking to replace plugs, wires, distributor,rotor button, and cap!!!