News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where Do You See Prices Going

Started by JMF, February 20, 2006, 10:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Where do you think Dodge Charger prices will be in a few years time? I can handle how they are at the moment but are they going to continue to go up?

triple_green

I've been tracking for 10 years. They have averaged 7% per year increase over that time. I think they will continue to go up at the pace for the foreseeable future.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

hemihead

My opinion is that this " Muscle Collecting" is a fad.And as all fads, they come and go.The true Mopar Guys will be the only ones left when it's over.After the Baby Boomer generation either ends up in old folks homes or dies off, prices will spiral downward.Combined with rising fuel costs,tree huggers,and a new generation,it's all a matter of time.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

JMF

I hope prices go down obviously, at the moment they are in creeping in to Ferrari prices

chargerboy69

Quote from: JMF on February 20, 2006, 11:08:42 AM
I hope prices go down obviously, at the moment they are in creeping in to Ferrari prices

Funny you mentioned that. I am looking for a  Ferrari 328. You are not far off from the truth.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Quote from: chargerboy69 on February 20, 2006, 11:52:55 AM
Quote from: JMF on February 20, 2006, 11:08:42 AM

Funny you mentioned that. I am looking for a  Ferrari 328. You are not far off from the truth.

Part of the reason for that is I believe the Ferrari prices have dropped and leveled off.

As far as the Charger prices, I think they will keep going up for the forseeable future and probably average an increase at what Mark has seen. I think the only thing that could spoil the muscle car market is something catastrophic, ie, something that would ruin the entire world economy. More muscle cars and quasi-muscle cars are being added to the mix all the time. Now the market is enveloping the pre-'64 GTO Pontiac cars like Tempest. Pretty soon those things will be fetching $25k or more I bet.

65post

I think if something big happens in the middle east in the near future ( Israel and iran ) it will effect everything including the crazy prices being paid for these cars now.I am a car nut myself but you got to remember they are just cars.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

MGBRingo

I don't think gas prices or trouble overseas will affect the price of our cars.  These are not daily drivers and the owners of these cars don't care about what it costs to drive them.

I think prices will continue to go up until the baby boomers are long gone.  Just like Model As.  They have pretty much leveled off and even decreased since the WWII people are no longer buying the cars of their dreams or the car they had as a kid.  Or the car they lusted after on a TV program like the Dukes of Hazard.

Big Lebowski

Whoever paid 2 million for that 'cuda won't care if gas hits $10 a gallon.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Blown70

I personally think they will continue to rise.  WHY?  Becasue everyone told me NOT to 15 years ago,  They are only cars.  MIND you I could have bought an AAR cuda in 94 four about $8500,,,,, guess what..... same car is now worth and did sell for $39.500  I dunno Pretty good gain as far as I am concerned.

Tom

skip68

O.K.,  ::)  The reason that the Ford model A's are flat is that they made 4,320,446 of them.  And for the model T's they made more than 15,000,000 (15 million) of them.  They are not as rare as the 68-70 chargers and after all these years are still easier to find than a charger.  Cars back then did not have as many options, colors, and models/styles to choose from :yesnod:  Now, if Ford only made 300,000 of the model A's or T's and the demand was high you would not be able to touch one or even find one for the price of a charger.  I would have no idea what one would be going for but, I know it would be out of my price range :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  SUPPLY AND DEMAND baby,  you gotta love it!    :icon_smile_big:  Chuck..........................P.S.  MGBRingo,  I'm not trying to start a fight with you, I'm just trying to state the facts.  However, You do have a good point and very well may be right. :'(   Take care,   Chuck..............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mike DC

These kinds of conversations about "the price of musclecars" usually talk in blanket terms.  But it really makes a difference which kinds of cars we're talking about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--  The top 5% of the hobby is definitely on a major bubble right now ($3 million Cuda convertibles, the factory Hemi & 440/6 cars, etc).  Once a few high rollers get tired of playing this money-spending contest with each other, these cars will probably drop significantly.

--  But the $25,000 street cars are still not worth any more than they cost to construct.  That's not overinflated at all, and there's a very real widespread long-term demand.  I don't see these prices dropping at least until some of the Baby Boomers start realizing they didn't save up enough retirement money to live on.

69charger2002

i agree with mike. the top notch cars will bubble out one day.. it is inevitable. they will get tired of playing that ridiculous game.. i also believe that in 10 years #'s matching 68-70 chargers, though will ALWAYS bring more money, will not be quite as high in demand as a good restorable body will. By then, this is my opinion only, a 318 car will be priced the same as a 383 car, etc.. people will just be glad to get one. let's face it, MOST of the younger crowd(i mean say under 40).. don't really care that much about a "L" or a "U" in a VIN #. mainly because that certain letter in a VIN for lots of people makes a difference on if they can afford the car or not. solid bodies and restorable projects i think will continue to rise indefinitely. as will daily driver type cars and lower end show cars. just the emails i get alone on a daily basis.. ESPECIALLY if you include 14-18 year old dreamers. makes me believe that project/driver 68-70 chargers may NEVER go down again
that's just my .02
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

MichaelRW

I think the cars that are in line to take a real downward price hit are the clones or re-creations or whatever you want to call them. Those $100,000 hemi clones are waaaaayyy over priced. The blue chip numbers matching cars are the ones that will appreciate.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

JimShine

I agree with Travis. I am in the younger crowd and I tend only to hang out with the younger crowd. They don't care about numbers matching or original engine size. They want a fast and great looking Charger.

Charger1973

I can say that honestly...  numbers matching doesnt mean much to me either.  I dont care what other people think, I like to enjoy my cars.  If I buy a charger to fix up that was originally turd brown, you can bet it wont be that color when I get done with it.

bull

Quote from: MichaelRW on February 20, 2006, 05:42:53 PM
I think the cars that are in line to take a real downward price hit are the clones or re-creations or whatever you want to call them. Those $100,000 hemi clones are waaaaayyy over priced. The blue chip numbers matching cars are the ones that will appreciate.

I don't think so because even when you count all the clonable cars you're still dealing with a static number that will not go up. Unless they start making Charger kit cars there are only so many to go around. Even then when you compare Cobra kits to real Cobras the real ones are not losing any value.

As far as the Model A and T prices, there's a big hole in that comparison to muscle cars. Not just in the production numbers but the fun factor. How fast is a Model T? Can you even top 40 or 50 mph without street-rodding them? I bet most everyone who owns a Model T would enjoy owning a muscle car, but not everyone who owns a muscle car would even want a Model T. Everyone who likes cars respects '60s and '70s muscle cars and would enjoy owning one.

MichaelRW

Quote from: bull on February 20, 2006, 07:18:50 PM
Quote from: MichaelRW on February 20, 2006, 05:42:53 PM

I don't think so because even when you count all the clonable cars you're still dealing with a static number that will not go up. Unless they start making Charger kit cars there are only so many to go around. Even then when you compare Cobra kits to real Cobras the real ones are not losing any value.

As far as the Model A and T prices, there's a big hole in that comparison to muscle cars. Not just in the production numbers but the fun factor. How fast is a Model T? Can you even top 40 or 50 mph without street-rodding them? I bet most everyone who owns a Model T would enjoy owning a muscle car, but not everyone who owns a muscle car would even want a Model T. Everyone who likes cars respects '60s and '70s muscle cars and would enjoy owning one.

Example: As I'm sure you know, it's the rarity of a real hemi Cuda that pushes the price into the millions. If five hundred 318 Barracudas are cloned into five hundred  hemi clones, I have to believe the more hemi clones that are out there lowers the price point and value of the clone. The clone cars are a fairly newer idea and once the shine wears off this idea, the real money will go to the numbers matching cars.

I see where a few have stated that numbers matching doesn't matter to them. Well, that's fine, but it does matter though to a lot of the serious collectors and that is where the big bucks are. Personally, I can appreciate any nice vehicle whether it is cloned or not. My 70 Charger R/T SE happens to be numbers matching but when I restored it, I changed both the exterior and interior colors and I drive it whenever I feel like it. But only time will tell what happens to the values of these cars.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

bull

If 500 318 cars are cloned into Hemi R/Ts it would lower the price of that particular model of clone, but not the real ones. It's a bit of a moot point though because there are only so many people who would gamble a gob of money converting a 318 Charger into a Hemi clone. But again, you still have to factor in the amount of work going into these cars. When someone spends $100k restoring a car they're going to want that amount back and more. These guys are not paying this kind of money for hack jobs. You can eat off them when they're done and much of the marketability comes from the reputation of the guys doing the restorations on these cars.

Troy

Quote from: MichaelRW on February 20, 2006, 07:33:56 PM
Example: As I'm sure you know, it's the rarity of a real hemi Cuda that pushes the price into the millions. If five hundred 318 Barracudas are cloned into five hundred  hemi clones, I have to believe the more hemi clones that are out there lowers the price point and value of the clone. The clone cars are a fairly newer idea and once the shine wears off this idea, the real money will go to the numbers matching cars.
I don't quite agree with that. Cloning E-Bodies for huge $$$ (and to a lesser extent Chargers) might be a newer idea but clones of muscle cars in general have been going since at least the mid-eighties when I started getting interested. The prices are getting rediculous but the rarity of the car is what keeps everyone from owning one. For example, guys have been creating Shelby Mustangs and COPO Camaros for a long time because they just couldn't find the real ones OR it wasn't worth it to restore a real one at the time (no repro parts and body work has never been cheap). Shelby Cobra, Cobra Daytona, GT-40, and many exotic replicas have been selling for more than most current Mopars for almost two decades yet the prices on originals still keep breaking records. When you can't purchase one of the five original Gran Sport Corvettes you just make your own for half the price. Hemicuda verts will probably remain that way as well. :thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

I agree.  The number of clones can go up or down, but no amount of clones will depress the value of the originals.  Not at the top few percent of the hobby.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I also agree that the importance of matching numbers will go down over time for everything else besides that top 5%. 

Matching numbers is important when you look to the factory as the automotive mastermind behind the car.
But most kids these days have never seen a musclecar in their lives that wasn't totally reconstructed by a restoration shop.  When you were never taught to idolize these cars as they were built . . . and the only "masterminds" you credit with creating musclecars are the guys working at the restoration shop . . . and those guys are busy building clones AND real ones exactly the same way . . .