News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Universal Translator

Started by flyinlow, April 14, 2013, 12:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budnicks

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 15, 2013, 11:51:24 AM
Quote from: Fred on April 15, 2013, 02:26:19 AM

English also varies greatly from one English speaking country to the next.

Hell!!! changes from Lousiana to Texas, to Minessotta etc...
:2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

JB400

In all honesty, Missouri is a pretty nice state to be in.  We have plenty of lakes and rivers for fishing, plenty of scenic roads, and within a 2 hour drive, you can hit most of the hotspots.  Plenty of tourist attractions, but unfortunately no major national parks.  The laws here are mild compared to most other states.  All around, a nice place.  I couldn't think of too many places I'd want to move to.  It's not really misery to me, but the poverty level might see it that way as there really isn't that many high paying jobs except in the major cities.  But, with minimum wages, you can have a decent living.  Most houses are between $30k and $75k.

Fred

Australia is multicultral and proud of it. 
My question is.........if we are multicultural, how come I can't understand what half the population is saying?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Paul G

http://www.bing.com/translator/?ref=TThis

Sometimes I use this on my smart phone. I put in a wisecrack in English, let it convert to Spanish so I can say it in front of the guys I work with, who all are bi-lingual. I just wish I knew what they were saying.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Dino

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on April 15, 2013, 03:08:35 PM
In all honesty, Missouri is a pretty nice state to be in.  We have plenty of lakes and rivers for fishing, plenty of scenic roads, and within a 2 hour drive, you can hit most of the hotspots.  Plenty of tourist attractions, but unfortunately no major national parks.  The laws here are mild compared to most other states.  All around, a nice place.  I couldn't think of too many places I'd want to move to.  It's not really misery to me, but the poverty level might see it that way as there really isn't that many high paying jobs except in the major cities.  But, with minimum wages, you can have a decent living.  Most houses are between $30k and $75k.

That's cheap housing, but you can get better deals in some parts of Detroit.   :D

Everything else sounds really nice actually.  I don't think I can ever get enoiugh of scenic roads...as long as there's plenty gas stations!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Fred on April 15, 2013, 09:16:44 PM
My question is.........if we are multicultural, how come I can't understand what half the population is saying?

basics doesn't changes

talking about diff kind of English from country to country... SPANISH IS EVEN WORST.

sometimes you think are saying something good in Mexico ( because it is in Venezuela ) and maybe somebody can hit your face... or laugh, or whatever LOL

is just about slangs!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Fred

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 16, 2013, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: Fred on April 15, 2013, 09:16:44 PM

basics doesn't changes

talking about diff kind of English from country to country... SPANISH IS EVEN WORST.

sometimes you think are saying something good in Mexico ( because it is in Venezuela ) and maybe somebody can hit your face... or laugh, or whatever LOL

is just about slangs!

That's correct but we even have spelling issues. We spell words differently and we even pronounce some words differently. Take route for instance...........we pronounce it "root" in Australia.

68X426

It's "root" here too (well usually, I think city folk say "r-out-e" more often).

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Fred

Quote from: 68X426 on April 16, 2013, 05:43:25 PM
It's "root" here too (well usually, I think city folk say "r-out-e" more often).

That's what I mean.
What about Bouy?  We pronounce it "boy" but I know places where it's pronounced "boo-y"

flyinlow

I planed my route using root 66,  just for kix.   :rofl:

Fred

Quote from: flyinlow on April 16, 2013, 07:59:30 PM
I planed my route using root 66,  just for kix.   :rofl:

You just painted the perfect picture.    :icon_smile_big:

Nacho-RT74

we don't have spell issues really... with couple of letters exceptions  ( S and Z or C after an I or E pretty much can sum everything )

in Spanish, you pronounce exactly the way is written letter by letter and is the same in all around the spanish world, not like in english
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Fred

English is a very complex language.  Nothing's written as is spelt and nothing's pronounced as it's spelt.
eg.......
bough   bought   through   rough  trough   are all pronounced differently.

You need an education in order to comprehend it.    :icon_smile_big:

dyslexic teddybear

A lotta people can not comprehend it even with an education.

I have read that it is one of the most difficult one's to learn.

Maybe someday I'll get the hang of it.

Fred

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on April 17, 2013, 01:13:01 AM
A lotta people can not comprehend it even with an education.

Maybe someday I'll get the hang of it.

You and me both brother!  But is it possible to achieve it in one life time? Maybe the second hundred years will be easier.

remta1

the kids dont even bother to spell and pronounce words correctly :'(

and the same sentence for teens.....

"suup kds dnt dnt wrry bout splln sht wrds no wurrys bro LOL "

Old Moparz

Interesting, I was under the impression that Troy traveled around to the members that had language barriers & translated things in person for them.   :shruggy:

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on April 17, 2013, 01:13:01 AM

not really... even with some difficulties it's easier than it looks.