News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8-3/4 rear end

Started by Hard Charger, April 16, 2013, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard Charger

Can i just remove my housing and make it a posi unit? or do you need to buy a new one specifically for that.

JB400

A sure grip will bolt in to your current housing.  Just make sure you get the right unit for the correct housing.  The numbers you need are on the drivers' side of the 3rd member.

Hard Charger

i think you are saying the axle tube is ok to accept a new posi unit.

i meant to say will i need to replace the removeble third member housing to make that a posi unit or replace it?

Cooter

Quote from: Hard Charger on April 17, 2013, 06:50:38 AM

i meant to say will i need to replace the removeble third member housing to make that a posi unit or replace it?

To Break this down on an easier to understand level here, YES the quickest way is to just find a SURE GRIP (NOT "posi" that's a GM term), and swap the entire chunk. However, if you remove your Chunk/Hogshead/whatever, and look at the LAST THREE numbers on the side next to where the driveshaft hooks up, it will say something like "741"/"742"/ or "489"....
Once you know what carrier you have by the numbers, then you can order a new "Sure grip Unit" and install/have it installed in your Carrier. However, this is NOT FOR THE FAINT of heart. I recommend taking it to a shop for set up of gears. Expect them to make a little "howling" noise, but not sound like a Sick Cow moaning all the time, or grinding rocks inside.

Once you have it set up, you are ready to re-install it in your housing and set you axle end play in the bearings. I recommend you Repack them at this time with grease. There should be a spanner nut behind the axle flange on one side. You need to use a dial indicator to measure how far the axle moves IN AND OUT once installed and tightened up. There is a spec here on the site somewhere for the clearances....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68RED4SPEED

Cooter

I believe, although I could be wrong, the Sure Grip with like 3.23 and DOWN (Meaning like 2.76 gear) will only take one size carrier due to the width of the ring gear, and the other carrier for like 3.55 and UP (Meaning like 4.56 gear) takes another carrier.

Something like a 2.76gear "742" has trouble accepting a 4.56 Gear set, or something?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

469 runner

Don't mix up the "housing" 741, 742, 489 etc with the carrier.  They all use the same Sure Grip unit be it cone, or  clutch.   The only difference fitting the differential into different "Cases" or "housings" is the bearings.  Use the correct bearings for the Housing or Case and the differential can be mounted in any case.

Hard Charger

Quote from: Cooter on April 17, 2013, 11:39:43 AM
Quote from: Hard Charger on April 17, 2013, 06:50:38 AM

To Break this down on an easier to understand level here, YES the quickest way is to just find a SURE GRIP (NOT "posi" that's a GM term), and swap the entire chunk. However, if you remove your Chunk/Hogshead/whatever, and look at the LAST THREE numbers on the side next to where the driveshaft hooks up, it will say something like "741"/"742"/ or "489"....
Once you know what carrier you have by the numbers, then you can order a new "Sure grip Unit" and install/have it installed in your Carrier. However, this is NOT FOR THE FAINT of heart. I recommend taking it to a shop for set up of gears. Expect them to make a little "howling" noise, but not sound like a Sick Cow moaning all the time, or grinding rocks inside.

Once you have it set up, you are ready to re-install it in your housing and set you axle end play in the bearings. I recommend you Repack them at this time with grease. There should be a spanner nut behind the axle flange on one side. You need to use a dial indicator to measure how far the axle moves IN AND OUT once installed and tightened up. There is a spec here on the site somewhere for the clearances....
i knew someone was going to bust me for saying "posi"

AKcharger