News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Entering a non-running Charger into a Mopar show

Started by 69bronzeT5, April 15, 2013, 07:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would YOU enter it into the show?

Yes
16 (22.5%)
No
49 (69%)
Other (post your "other")
6 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 71

moparstuart

Take it at our show the un restored or under restoration cars get the most attention

Everyone wants to go see whats up and ask questions on what your going to do with it

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

67_Dodge_Charger

Heck yeah, take your Charger :cheers:  everybody appreciates a work in progress.  Don't listen to the naysayers, they hide from their inadequacies.  Cars are meant to be seen, whether it is in disrepair, restoration just beginning, or that jewel that shines brilliantly.  Robert

Baldwinvette77

In all seriousness though, why not just get it running?... don't you want to drive it?  :shruggy: it may be fun to take it as it is, but i don't think i need to say how much more rewarding it will be to run new lines, and replace whatever, and then drive to the show, you don't even need to paint it.  :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

I haven't updated my signature yet however I am indeed selling everything except the Challenger, Charger and Coronet. I was thinking about it more and I think I'll wait until its running and driving to take it to the show. I'll just continue gathering parts for it until I have a place to work on it
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TUFCAT

I voted no....unless it was for sale.  

If not, I'd wonder why anybody would haul a rusty project car on a trailer.  Just Sayin'  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Plum Crazy 68

What's the difference between a non-runner and a car that is only trailored to shows?  Cars are meant to be driven and I would want to see them running.

bull

I think the car would get some looks and it would probably get a lot of purchase offers too. Maybe you don't want to be tempted by someone holding $10k in cash up in front of your nose. I wouldn't do it unless you can do it on the cheap locally. Don't see how you can really justify it otherwise.

resq302

Its kind of a personal preference for this type of thing.  I have been to shows with my charger when I just started getting running and (although it was not on a trailer) granted it wasn't together, I had a bunch of people come up and express their appreciation for the work that was going into it and see the various stages a car went under being restored.  However, at the same time, there are people who would turn their noses up to it since it is still being restored.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 16, 2013, 01:26:37 PM
I voted no unless it was for sale.  

If not, I'd wonder why the hell did somebody brought it.   Just Sayin'  :Twocents: :Twocents:

I've never heard of anyone dragging out a non-running car in need of restoration and entering it in a show.

No offense, but it sounds like a big waste of time, money and effort to me. People at car shows want to see done cars, not ones that might be done some day.

TUFCAT

The possible exception would be a historical display car ...something along the line of  "Miss Belvedere" the Tulsa 1957 Plymouth, a significant drag car, or a perhaps a factory prototype.

Otherwise it makes no sence and you're setting yourself up for stupid comments, with people shaking their heads.   :shruggy:

tcs69rt

Get it in running condition and drive it there. Unless your a trophy collector? But wait.....there are plenty of guys with complete resto trailer queens that collect trophies and that's not you. Even if you got some award for a non-running car over a running car could cause hard feelings among the "running car" crowd. Good Luck with the resto, keep us posted.
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

resq302

On the contrary, when I was invited up to the Hemmings Concours show in VT, they had a class for under construction.  Was pretty cool seeing cars in all stages of restoration.  Was pretty cool to see from a top side view of the drive train, frame, and such.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

UH60L

If you have a trailer, put it in the "under construction" class.  At least it would really BE "under construction". 

I lost in that class to a '55 chevy once,  that was literally just missing the rear bumper (that had been removed that morning due to an incident with a tree).  It was a completely restored and fully functional car.  There was nothing "under construction" about it.

Once my car came out of the body shop with new paint, I vowed never to enter it as "under construction" again (even though it's nowhere near done or running), because I don't consider that a fair competition.

I wouldn't want a trophy for something I basically cheated to win.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

HPP

IMO, non running cars go to the swap corral. If it runs, even if its ugly, battered, and beaten, then put it in the show.

Cooter

Quote from: UH60L on April 17, 2013, 12:12:22 AM
If you have a trailer, put it in the "under construction" class.  At least it would really BE "under construction". 
I lost in that class to a '55 chevy once,  that was literally just missing the rear bumper (that had been removed that morning due to an incident with a tree).  It was a completely restored and fully functional car.  There was nothing "under construction" about it.
Once my car came out of the body shop with new paint, I vowed never to enter it as "under construction" again (even though it's nowhere near done or running), because I don't consider that a fair competition.
I wouldn't want a trophy for something I basically cheated to win.

See, my whole problem with going to Car shows for the Trophy hopes is the fact that If it's "Viewers Choice", or even judged, there's Always something that seems a little "off" about how the winners are picked. First off, with the latter, you are at the mercy of whatever the judge/s like personally. they may not even know a Plymouth, but know the hell out of a Chevy. And the General Public?? OMG! Gimme a break. All they know is what they saw on the latest video games, or what they saw Vin Diesel drive in the latest movie.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charge69

Attending car shows in the past with friends who have cars entered, I fully agree with Cooter that you are at the mercy of whatever type of car the judges know or like. The public has no idea how much time, effort, or skills go into restoring an old car and, sadly, just do not want to see cars that are unrestored.

My car just won't be entered in any car show to be judged and rarely shown at all. Too many idiots out there that do not have a clue or are "experts" that do nothing but critisize your "incorrect" this or that but don't have a car of their own!

Keep your car and money at home and have a lot more fun restoring it and forget entering it in a car show in its' present stage.

Paul G

I prefer to enter shows that are judged as long as they have a class my Charger fits in. Peoples choice comes down to who has the most friends. Classes can be iffy too. Stock or modified matters.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Plum Crazy 68

The only sane reason to enter it would be if all the other cars are Fords and Chevys.  I would vote for the Mopar!

469 runner

The only reason to be involved in this hobby is for the enjoyment we get out of it.  If I cared even a little what someone else thought of my car it would just diminish the enjoyment.

Do what makes you happy, and don't worry a minute about other peoples opinions for or against.

charge69

I applaud your reply, 469 runner!  It echos my belief in the hobby and what makes going to a car show enjoyable for me!

Darkman

I voted "YES"

From my point of view, you can achieve a lot by doing it.

1. Car shows are all about networking as well as showing your car. Meet new people, discuss plans with your car, talk about what works and what doesn't.

2. There are people who do like cars under construction. It adds a new conversation piece rather than looking at yet another restored car.

3. Actually being a young person "saying" they have a Charger they want to restore will get shrugged off with the "oh yeah right" attitude, but actually showing them will get attention.

I am lucky that where I am, there aren't too many chargers, so showing what I am doing will gain interest, especially all the work going into it currently.

Next show that suits, my car will be entered regardless what condition it is in!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Darkman on April 17, 2013, 08:27:09 PM

3. Actually being a young person "saying" they have a Charger they want to restore will get shrugged off with the "oh yeah right" attitude, but actually showing them will get attention.

Interesting point.

Just a suggestion.....make a sign for it "Work in progress, not for sale" to avoid confusion.

TUFCAT

Like I said, in the real world most people would probably laugh unless it was for sale.  :Twocents: