News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air Ride Technologies

Started by NorwayCharger, February 20, 2006, 03:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorwayCharger

Air Ride Technologies introduces new products for 2006!

68-70 B Body & 70-74 E-Body Mopar Shockwave Tubular Arm 68-70 B Body & 70-74 E-Body Mopar Airbar

Air Ride Technologies introduces the first aftermarket air suspension specifically developed for Mopar muscle cars.

The new front Shockwave and StrongArmTM kit is a bolt on replacement of the existing upper control arm and shock. The Shockwave is a modular airspring and 16 position adjustable billet shock combination (also available with double adjustable shocks). The Shockwave bolts into the original shock mounting location on the factory lower control arm and frame. Your Mopar will be lowered approximately 2.5" at ride height and can be deflated 3" from ride height for that ultimate low stance!

The new StrongArmTM /Shockwave system dramatically improves the ride quality and handling of your classic Mopar without the need of extensive modifications.

The StrongArmTM /Shockwave combo makes a perfect match for the newly released AirBar bolt on four link system for the Mopars. Now your Mopar can enjoy hardcore performance... ultimate ride quality... and cool, low stance in one bolt on package!
The Mopars have never been hotter and they're becoming increasingly popular to modify, especially by the top builders! After the initial release of the popular muscle car AirBar product line, Air Ride Technologies was continually receiving requests from Mopar enthusiasts to develop a dedicated line of BOLT-ON 4 link suspension systems for their applications.
This new AirBar is a true bolt-on 4 link suspension system, which directly replaces the factory leaf springs... exactly what the Mopar fanatics have been asking for!

It requires no specialty fabrication work, or modification to the factory frame rails. By eliminating the leaf springs, the handling, ride quality, and performance of these cars is drastically improved!

Now your Mopar can enjoy hardcore performance... ultimate ride quality... and cool, low stance in one bolt-on package!

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

phat69charger

Would you know a Ball park cost on that system?   :icon_smile_big:

68ChargerJMP

Where can I find more info on this. I googled it, but cant come up with anything for Mopars.

Johnny SixPack

Wow!

Cool stuff, NC. :2thumbs:

You already have the Alter-K unit for your Charger though, no?

Would this system work with that?

I ask as I plan on going with the AK in the near future, but really like the idea of being able to really drop the front end down.

My plan is to go the road racer route, and it'd be nice to be able to instantly change the ride height so easily.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Ricardo

No info posted yet at their web site  www.airride.com , I would really like to know the price of this system. It's time to start saving some $$$$

dkn1997

are they saying to take the T bars out?  if so, probably not the best idea unless you reinforce the shock towers.  they were never meant to handle the entire weight of the car. 

also, while this comes up in this discussion and whenever someone brings up the magnum force front coilover kit, has anyone ever said how difficult it would be to actually reinforce the towers? 
RECHRGED

68ChargerJMP

I spoke with AirRide Tech. They said the front system is around $1100,not sure yet on the rear price. The torsion bars are left in but with reduced spring rate.

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Mike DC

Quotehas anyone ever said how difficult it would be to actually reinforce the towers?

Difficult?  Probably not. 

Obvious & permanent?  Yes.

It also depends on just how much you need to reinforce the towers for your particular project.  A high-speed G-machine converting to full coilovers will need a LOT more beefing up than if you're just eliminating the torsion bars on a weekend drag car project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteThe torsion bars are left in but with reduced spring rate.

That's interesting.  I've had thoughts of that kind of thing myself.  (Keep the factory spring but use a set with a reduced rate, and then use an additional air spring for some amount of adjustability.)

It seems to open up the can of worms about spring height versus spring rate, though. 

The problem with air springs are that it basically gives you less spring rate when you need it and more spring rate when you don't.  Unless you can find a way to vary the volume of the air springs (as opposed to just varying the air pressure within a given volume) the problem isn't gonna change.

dkn1997

I read somewhere that there was a company developing air springs that do the opposite of the traditional ones IE: gives you proper spring rates when you want them. can't remember the name, but it was in hotrod or CC about a year ago.
RECHRGED

Headrope

Do they offer anything for the original Chargers, the pre-68 ones?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

NorwayCharger

I got the rear kit.
I bought it from RMS, and they supplied me with the QA1 coilovers.
The only major work is to make some new exhaust pipes for the rear, It tight :o

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Lurker

Quote from: NorwayCharger on August 12, 2007, 04:34:35 AM
I got the rear kit.
I bought it from RMS, and they supplied me with the QA1 coilovers.
The only major work is to make some new exhaust pipes for the rear, It tight :o

i was gonna post on BBD and see how you made out and what you thought of the kit before i phoned Bill. how is the ride? does it handle any better etc? my alter-k should be on my step this week or early next and its time to start thinking about the rear  ;D
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

Mike DC

Whatever you do with the rearend, the factory shock absorber mounting bracket WILL NOT hold up very well when you try to hold up the car body with spring rate in that location.  People have been trying it ever since the air shock setups in the 70s, but the weakness of that factory bracket gets proven over & over again when it starts bending & tearing out.

The good aftermarket Mopar suspension coilover/air ride kits generally offer a replacement/supplemental brace between the subframe rails for that area.  The pics above show one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the torsion bars versus coilivers thing in front --

You have to worry about coilovers bolting the shock-towers themselves, but that doesn't rule out the coilover setups like the AlterKtion one.
If the upper mounts of the coilovers are supported by the K-frame rather than the factory un-reinforced shock towers, then the load points don't really change much from the factory. 

Yeah, the factory torsion bars were mounted partially at the tranny crossmember, but that's not the whole story.  The control arms would still have been pushing upwards on the front of the car's chassis at essentially the same location whether it's torsion bars or something else on the K-frame.

(Imagine a normal anti-sway bar setup -- the chassis mounting points feel the sway bar's pressure even on the end nearer to the bump, not just the end farther away.)

Lurker

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 14, 2007, 07:09:13 PM

Whatever you do with the rearend, the factory shock absorber mounting bracket WILL NOT hold up very well when you try to hold up the car body with spring rate in that location.  People have been trying it ever since the air shock setups in the 70s, but the weakness of that factory bracket gets proven over & over again when it starts bending & tearing out.

The good aftermarket Mopar suspension coilover/air ride kits generally offer a replacement/supplemental brace between the subframe rails for that area.  The pics above show one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know the rear shock mount crossmember thing is a weak link and was going to beef it up even if i went with leafs on the rear the thing looks weaker than the gas tank straps lol, i was just wondering if the air ride 4 link kit with the Qa1 coils improved handling and ride enough compared to leafs and a good sway bar to justify changing over, i am probably going to go for it anyway because to install the 4 link wouldn't be anymore work than it would be to beef up that flimsy crossmember enough to make myself happy.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667