News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 CHARGER

Started by 65post, February 20, 2006, 01:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

Just wondering - The spoiler on the 66 was this an option from the get go or was it offered later in the run.Were they only an option on hemi cars? Did the cars that came with them have it on the tag?  Were there any hemi chargers with a factory hood scoop ? ( Like the coronet )
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Brock Samson

kinda,.. no,.. no,.. no,...
however, i might be wrong.. again..

Ghoste

The spoiler was offered after it was discovered that the rear of the car tended to lift off from the ground at about 180 mph.  Of course, it was NASCAR drivers who discovered this.  Anyway, the spoiler was added and it wasn't long before other brand drivers were crying "me too".  This could be seen as the opening shot in the aero wars.
Since NASCAR required the equipment to be available on the stock vehicles, for 1967 Dodge made the spoiler standard equipment if you ordered a Hemi Charger.  I have been told that some 1966 Chargers came with it, but I think it was strictly an over the counter item.  In 67, it could be ordered over the counter on any Charger.  As to the factory installs on the Hemi Chargers, I'm not sure if it began at the start of the model year or the start of the NASCAR season but it was the first North American vehicle to receive a spoiler as standard equipment.
I don't think it was indicated on the tag but Fastback Jon will know better.  The hood scoop that was available on the 67 RO Coronet was not available on the Charger.

dodgeboy67

anybody got a pic of the charger  spoiler,  or the coronet scoop?

65post

Here are a few pics I got from the net.

dodgeboy67

i like the scoop , but the spoiler is just ok....thanx

Headrope

The three piece spoilers in those pictures might not be date accurate.
NASCAR allowed the spoiler to run the width of the trunk lid only in '66.
I believe the three-piece spoilers you see pictured would be for '67s.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Orange_Crush

According to a feller I know who is a guru of all things 66 and 67 Charger (at least, I THINK this is what he said), The spoiler was standard on Hemi Chargers and optional on others.

The spoiler was available in three different configurations.  A full width with "straight" edges, a full width with "curved" edges (as pictured) and a trunklid-width spoiler.

Like I said,  This conversation took place a long time ago so I may be wrong.

Incidentally, I think the car looks AWESOME with the spoiler.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

65post

I learn something new on here everyday.I thought there was only one type on the early chargers.

dodgeboy67

Quote from: 65post on February 20, 2006, 09:11:47 PM
I learn something new on here everyday.I thought there was only one type on the early chargers.

ive got 2 67s , and didnt even know it was an option.....amazingly enough i havent even seen one on ebay yet

hemihead

I love the spoilers and wouldn't want a 1st gen without one.Someone a couple years ago was reproing them.As far as I can remember only the Hemi cars had them and it was a dealer installed option.Some ridiculous price of $17.34 or something.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

XP29F61

A guy in Washington State sells exact repops of the spoiler. A383Wing is his username on my site, but I'm not sure if he's on here.
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil.  For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base in Kadena, Japan

"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
USAF Ammo Troop

http://66-67charger.com

A383Wing

I have the reproduction spoilers for the 66 & 67 Chargers. All 3 pieces plus instructions are included. Email me at A383Wing@66-67charger.com for information & pictures if interested.

Bryan   :drive: