News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you all run for stereos in your cars? Who makes good stuff anymore?

Started by moparguy01, March 31, 2013, 10:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

I am VERY out of date with car stereo technology. Who makes decent decks anymore? How about good speakers?

I am going to put a radio in my 74 charger. And I do want to have some decent sound quality. However my car has restrictions. The trunk is sealed off and full. theres a fuel cell back there, along with the battery. Yes the car has a cage in it. Yes I will be driving it more on the street than the track, so I want to have some tunes too.

Years back I used to run Kenwood decks, and MTX speakers and they were real good then. But that was 10 years ago. What I am looking for is a good set of 6x9 speakers, a decent set of 3 1/2" speakers I can mount up in the dash, preferably lower profile since I have a bar behind the dash as well. Also a good quality deck. So Who has some good recommendations?

71ChallengeHer

marshallfry01

Kenwood decks are still good. The one in my truck is a year old and works great. Pioneer has pretty good decks too. As far as speakers go all I use is alpine. There door speakers are crystal clear and the tweeters are too. They also have good amps and subs. My whole system is alpine except for my amp because I got it for free. I'm sure you know this but stay away from Walmart speakers. They don't handle near what they say.  The best website for this stuff is onlinecarstereo.com. They have the BEST prices and are very helpful. I have bought from them many times.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

twodko

Check out what SecretAudio has to offer. Myself and some other members here have a system from them. Very versatile and powerful.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

charger496

Anyone tried having their factory radio upgraded with new internals and an output for MP3/Ipod? I want a stereo, but also the factory look. Mine's a 3rd gen also. I've seen ads to take my radio and convert it for about $450. Steep, but if it sounds good...

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Todd Wilson

I dont know...............I am still using my JVC stereo from 1987...................

Todd

A383Wing

I got Kenwood in all the cars that have after market stereos

Bryan

68 CHARGER R/T

i got the repo one from year one .i'm very impressed with the sound quality  and the reception is great even without the antenna plugged in  . only thing i dont like is that its a blue led light and it dont match up with my stock cluster lights   

billssuperbird

chargerboy69

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

rt green

third string oil changer

Dino

These days I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big brand names.  It's all the same stuff anyway.  I went with a JVC because you can tweak the colors so they match the dash lighting of the Charger.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

DadsCharger00

I used to deal with alot of stereos (I was an installer and custom audio guy in a past life). I would agree Kenwood is great (however I disliked customer service!) Pioneer is good. JVC is a preference of mine though. Alpine has some good stuff, but genreally speaking it's the same as everyone elses. I would have to agree that if you go with any of the major brands you get what you pay for. Frankly though I like the stock look, and will put a who cares what it is deck hidden likely in the center console, and use it from there.

68CoronetRT

I was a Pioneer guy until I found Alpine. :shruggy:

Now I run all Alpine in my DD, and all Fosgate/JL in my truck. The Dodge will be getting a nice Alpine setup whenever I get around to it.