News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kind Of A Touchy Charger Topic

Started by Darkness, February 19, 2006, 10:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkness

I know this is a little personal for some folks but, just curious as to have much money you have into your Charger(s)? I also, it's something some hate to think about but, just thought I would bring up the topic.

RallyeMike

IMHO, It's important to keep all your receipts. It's even more important to never give in to the temptation to add them up !
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BlueSS454

So far I have about $6,000 into mine including the purchase price of $3,000, leaving about $3,000 in parts spent so far.  I should be finishing up getting the left quarter panel on this week.  I estimate about $15,000 to do the car start to finish, although I'll probably go over it just like I did with my 70 SS Chevelle.
Tom Rightler

Telvis

Including the price I paid for the car. I have right at $21,000 in mine if you include what I have to pay the body guy. I will probably spend another $3k before I am finished.

skip68

As of now about $7,300.oo .    $5,500 for the car and $1,800 in the engine...I'm about half way done.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

phat69charger

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 19, 2006, 10:58:54 PM
IMHO, It's important to keep all your receipts. It's even more important to never give in to the temptation to add them up !

Well I gave in and added them up, the car, parts, pay out for work done I know I missed some things but from what I have: $26,375.00 so far, I thought it was more but it's been over a few years too.

I forgot to add that it has been to three shops it was dissassembled at one, then moved to another for metal and body prep, the building owners wanted that building back for there own use so when the lease expired they had to move, then it was moved to my body mans garage at his home, and now it's in my garage so a lot of the cost came from buying pieces that where lost during the moves, so make sure you take all of the pieces off your car that you can put back your self off the car just in case something like a body shop move happens to you, if I had all of the pieces mostly screws and small parts that can fit in your hand, the price would be a lot less.

JimsSE

Deals are still out there if you can settle for something not too desirable (SE, 318 2V, bench seat, etc.).  In fact, that's probably how you can still find something in decent shape and not trashed or worn out.

I paid $1925 for my unrestored, numbers matching, '73 SE.

I probably have put about $250 in parts (alternator, coil, hoses, ECU, Voltage regulator, belts, plug wires, etc.) to keep the original date-coded ones from wearing out.

About $2200 total.

Jim

Unrestored '73 Charger SE   

'79 Magnum GT
http://www.geocities.com/jimsmopars2003/

jaak

Quote from: JimsSE on February 19, 2006, 11:45:01 PM
Deals are still out there if you can settle for something not too desirable (SE, 318 2V, bench seat, etc.).  In fact, that's probably how you can still find something in decent shape and not trashed or worn out.

I paid $1925 for my unrestored, numbers matching, '73 SE.

I probably have put about $250 in parts (alternator, coil, hoses, ECU, Voltage regulator, belts, plug wires, etc.) to keep the original date-coded ones from wearing out.

About $2200 total.

Jim

Jim Thats a sharp Charger, you gotta feel proud to have so little in a NICE car like that.

Jason

kab69440

I don't wanna think about it. Whatever it is, it has been worth every penny. hahaha
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

JimsSE

Thanks Jason.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that $1925 was when I bought it in 1992.  I would imagine in today's $$$ I would have paid considerably more.  Parts on the other hand, still seem to be more available and reasonably cheap for a run-of-the mill 318 now adays.  

Trim and hard to find interior pieces will cost you an arm and a leg if you have to replace/refurbish them no matter what year or model.  My motto over the years has always been to find a complete car.  I think it's cheaper in the long run.  

Jim

Unrestored '73 Charger SE   

'79 Magnum GT
http://www.geocities.com/jimsmopars2003/

Big Lebowski

About $22,000 in 1996 dollars. I paid $1500 for the '70 Six-pack Charger in 1990. All this minus my labor of course, if we counted those hours X $85.00????? Most resto shops charge that much per hour. Who knows, that's why these cars are getting $65,000 at the BJ auction
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Darkness

Thanks for all the replies so far. I believe labor costs do play a part in prices but, not as much as supply and demand currently.

Mefirst

an INSANE AMOUNT of money, and the car isn't even done yet :drunk:

hemihead

I only paid $1000 for my 73  5 years ago, drove it a year before I took in apart.Now I have more into it than I care to admit but the labor is all mine and I don't spend money on any other vices in life.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Pistolpete

Unfortunately I'm one of those idiots who doesn't know when to stop! I'll probably have over $40 k invested by the time she's done but I'm doing a "complete" resto including engine - yikes...
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

terrible one

$3,600 for the car, and I havn't bought anything for her. I'm saving for panels!  :icon_smile_big:

71charger_fan

I have most of my receipts but have never added it up. I'd rather not know.

Shakey

Quote from: 89vert4x4 on February 19, 2006, 10:56:48 PM
I know this is a little personal for some folks but, just curious as to have much money you have into your Charger(s)? I also, it's something some hate to think about but, just thought I would bring up the topic.

No need to worry about touchy subjects here.

Check out this one.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3797.0.html

Darkness

Thanks Shakey but, I figure I would start another one since we have a lot of new people on the board here now.

triple_green

$14,000 in the 68
$40,000 in the 69, but i got an original 69 426 hemi (needing a rebuild) in the deal.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

NYCMille

hemi68charger

I in no way try to even contemplate keeping my receipts.... First, I don't want to be shocked if I ever found out and second, I don't care, it's in the price of mental health as far as I'm concerned. My Chargers give me sanity in dire times.... Of course my wife and kid always help me out, but there are some things only a man's car can bring to him.......... Even if it's just hanging out in the garage...

In the scheme of things though, with what I've paid for my Chargers and money I've got into them and what they are worth "today", I'm WAY ahead !!!!   :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Sinister68

Quote from: Mefirst on February 20, 2006, 06:32:44 AM
an INSANE AMOUNT of money, and the car isn't even done yet :drunk:

Ditto!  I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all purchases for the Charger and its nothing short of amazing how much $$$ you can rack up in a year!!!
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

jwilk01

I would say I have about $13,500 in it.  That would include car purchased for $3500 and the rest in parts.  Luckily I did all the work to it myself so I didn't have to pay a bodyshop.  Oh that amount may go up some with the new wheels and redoing the engine bay over the winter so maybe around $15,000 in total.

Later
Josh

hemigeno

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 19, 2006, 10:58:54 PM

:iagree:     Words to live by... 

I value my marriage too much to add everything up.  Plausible deniability, y'know!