News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

flat vs roller cams

Started by tiki, March 12, 2014, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

building a 1968 440 i found a top end kit but all have flat tappet cams why no roller arent they better?

Cooter

Quote from: tiki on March 12, 2014, 11:24:33 AM
building a 1968 440 i found a top end kit but all have flat tappet cams why no roller arent they better?

Sure are. They are also not as wallet friendly as flat tappet cams. Roller sh*t is high as hell.
hydraulic roller is the best power to reliability imo. Solid roller is at the top, but depending on how much lift/duration, you'll be replacing lifters every 10-15k miles. If you race it only, solid roller. If you actually wanna drive it on the street, hydraulic roller.

If you wanna stab it together and not have to run valve springs that will hold up a building, solid/hydraulic flat tappet.

Couldn't figure out why the 360 Magnum didn't make any power loo ike the 5.3 GM.
looked up roller cam factory specs. .387  in. .404 ex. Dur. @.050 187 and 200. WTF CHRYSLER???

figured I'd step it up some. Sheeot. $400.00 just for the camshaft.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tiki