News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Now my wife wants one.

Started by lukedukem, April 08, 2013, 01:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

like the title says my wife wants a "old timey car" as she calls them. it started when i finally let her drive the charger back form academy friday (ive had it for about two years). its a 15 mile drive to our house, so she got in some good driving, she says i just love how the steering wheels are and how easy they turn. now we get back home and i tell her the story of my uncle, and that he just bought a 56 thunderbird convert. from some old lady. he paid 15k for it i think. so i told my wife that next time we see or hear of a car like that we need to just by it no matter what it is. old cars, no matter what they are, are all cool, right. so she says, "could it be mine". i said "Do you want your own?" she said sure.
     so what do you guys think i should be looking to get my wife. i now it has to be two door, because she has a hard time driving the truck and its a short bed four door dodge. i found a 70 challenger for 4500 with no motor or tranny and only rust in in lower quarters, but i think getting her a driving car would be better, plus i would want to make that challeger my own anyway. so i was thinking a mustang, why you ask, price and availblity of parts. i also thought about a malibu, cause her dad had one and it looked like a chevelle, and she never got to drive it before he sold it.
     but i'm not sure, tell me your thoughts guys. two door, cheep but still cool? does such a car exist.

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Lizey

1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

chargd72

Get her an A-body mopar with a built SB.  Fun to drive and plenty out there at reasonble prices.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

charger490

how about the 66 charger in my avitare

JB400

I like the A body idea, but I think the best idea is to let her choose.

rt green

get her somthing with the same steering she likes. hey i know, what about a charger?
third string oil changer

lukedukem

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on April 08, 2013, 03:02:47 PM
I like the A body idea, but I think the best idea is to let her choose.

I will, just getting ideas for smaller cars. Lizey, that chevelle is a little much for her but a cool car.

Quote from: charger490 on April 08, 2013, 02:29:39 PM
how about the 66 charger in my avitare

Hmmm. What's in it

Stroker is right. I need to gather some pics and go from there. But a body might be the way to go.

Luke
Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

JB400

Any possibility of letting her drive several different cars?  Do you have a bunch of buddies that would let her drive their cars, or have a local classic car dealer that would let her check them out?

lukedukem

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on April 08, 2013, 04:43:14 PM
Any possibility of letting her drive several different cars?  Do you have a bunch of buddies that would let her drive their cars, or have a local classic car dealer that would let her check them out?

Not really. My uncle has a 57 convertible Chevy belair. But I'm the only one my age with a classic car. Everyone else is into boats and lifted trucks. But it's a good suggestion
Thanks

Luke.
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

twodko

Do yourself a huge favor......let her chose the "old timey" car she wants. Less marital discord in the future. Just sayin'
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

lukedukem

Quote from: twodko on April 08, 2013, 05:33:32 PM
Do yourself a huge favor......let her chose the "old timey" car she wants. Less marital discord in the future. Just sayin'

I'm worried she might pick a car outta our range. But your right. Mama has got to be happy.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

MagnumForce

cant go wrong with a mustang because, like you said,  you will never need to search high and low for parts. just my  :Twocents:
If You Ain't First, You're Last!!

Indygenerallee

She needs this one!!! Then you can borrow it as well!!!! ( wouldnt give what he's wanting but looks nice!)   :o :2thumbs:    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3675170392.html
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JB400

Mopar Nut

Get her a old Mustang, they look good behind a Charger.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

lukedukem

Quote from: Mopar Nut on April 09, 2013, 02:50:13 AM

i mentioned that and she said "Cool, my mom had one when she was my age".
she caught me looking at a 69 dart on ebay. she liked the lines and the back window.
but yeah, leaning towards mustang.

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

71ChallengeHer

What about a Demon ? I agree on the A- body. If you wanna stay Mopar. Parts are easier to find and cheaper then E- bodies. Small blocks are dependable and good on gas. Shame you weren't looking 2 years ago. My buddy sold a Demon. 318. At on the floor.  Ac worked . It had 50, 000 orig miles on it. He bought it from the orig owner , a little old lady. Garage kept too.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Mopar Nut on April 09, 2013, 02:50:13 AM
make sure you check the frame rails on a Rustang.  :2thumbs:   

lukedukem

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on April 09, 2013, 05:36:57 PM
What about a Demon ? I agree on the A- body. If you wanna stay Mopar. Parts are easier to find and cheaper then E- bodies. Small blocks are dependable and good on gas. Shame you weren't looking 2 years ago. My buddy sold a Demon. 318. At on the floor.  Ac worked . It had 50, 000 orig miles on it. He bought it from the orig owner , a little old lady. Garage kept too.

i'm leaning towards a body. yeah, your buddy's would have been great. 318 with auto and a/c. 
thanks for all the input too guys

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Nacho-RT74

for a woman, maybe this will be a nice option too ( even for me LOL ):

a nice touch of a modern look car, comfy and sporty
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ram07

I agree on the Mustang thing...cool car, cheap parts!  :Twocents:

Charger_Dart

Luke, Have her try out a Dart if possible. When my wife wanted a car to take to cruise-in's with me she tried several, but really loved how the Dart drove. Found a nice one on eBay for not huge money and have really enjoyed owning it for 10+ years now. She likes the power steering / brakes and small block that make it super nice to cruise in.

Funny - you sound alot like me with the 70 Challenger!

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

lukedukem

Quote from: Charger_Dart on April 11, 2013, 03:30:11 PM
Luke, Have her try out a Dart if possible. When my wife wanted a car to take to cruise-in's with me she tried several, but really loved how the Dart drove. Found a nice one on eBay for not huge money and have really enjoyed owning it for 10+ years now. She likes the power steering / brakes and small block that make it super nice to cruise in.

Funny - you sound alot like me with the 70 Challenger!

That's what I think was decided on. I'd like to have the setup you have. But I'll get her the dart first

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

71ChallengeHer

Luke, I have my a-body guy. Keeping an eye out around here for you . If he finds anything , I will let you know.  :2thumbs: (the one that had the Demon).  He said you should have bought her the  other 71 Demon , he solid 3 months ago. 11 sec 1/4 mile car.  :smilielol:   She could of had some fun with that.  :drive:

Dino

Let her search online so you can narrow it down to a few models or styles of cars, from there you can start eliminating the ones that are too rare/costly/impossible to keep running.

If I was in the market for another classic car I could be happy with numerous cars, likely no mopars though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.