News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door hinge pin kit

Started by Dino, April 08, 2013, 09:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Well it took a while but the driver's side door is finally starting to get loose.  The door still shuts fine but I can wiggle it up and down a bit when the door's half open so time for new pins and bushings.

I know a ton of different kits work but before I grab this, can anyone confirm they work?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ne=2000000&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Ntt=door+hinge+pin+kit&N=599001+101969+50020+2020008

Any other kits you guys can recommend?

I need to remove both doors to drill the holes for the power window wiring so I'm going to change the ps pins while I'm at it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

kab69440

I believe my pin/ bushing kit came from The Paddock years ago. I can't imagine the NAPA kit is much different.

I have an awesome idea for a greaseable bushing and roller bearing upgrade, but no money to put it into action. Seems like a door hinge would last forever engineered that way regardless of the weight it was supporting.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

HOTROD

Yep I used it, top hinge no problem but don`t drill out the lower !!
a friend of mine is giving me a nother lower! :brickwall:
What the Hell-Dumass !

tan top

Quote from: kab69440 on April 08, 2013, 06:05:23 PM
I believe my pin/ bushing kit came from The Paddock years ago. I can't imagine the NAPA kit is much different.

I have an awesome idea for a greaseable bushing and roller bearing upgrade, but no money to put it into action. Seems like a door hinge would last forever engineered that way regardless of the weight it was supporting.

yep got a pin kit from the paddock too  , never used the pins for the lower hinges , before i even got round to using them  , saw  2 NOS lower hinges  for sale & bought them  :yesnod:  , so just fitted new pins to the top ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kab69440

Quote from: HOTROD on April 08, 2013, 10:59:18 PM
Yep I used it, top hinge no problem but don`t drill out the lower !!
a friend of mine is giving me a nother lower! :brickwall:

What was the problem on the lower? Both of mine work fine.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Dino

Isn't the idea with the new pin kits to drill out both upper and lower and install a bushing on each?  I know the originals don't have bushings on the lower but to make a generic kit it makes sense that you'd have to modify that part.  I don't minnd either, I need the doors to be tight on the hinges, I don't care if there's a non stock bushing in there.

Btw, does the paddock still exist?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on April 09, 2013, 06:37:43 AM
Isn't the idea with the new pin kits to drill out both upper and lower and install a bushing on each?  I know the originals don't have bushings on the lower but to make a generic kit it makes sense that you'd have to modify that part.  I don't minnd either, I need the doors to be tight on the hinges, I don't care if there's a non stock bushing in there.

Dirk,

Paddock is gone.....  Mega parts has a really nice pair of kits. The top ones have bushings and commonly they just pop out and the new one slide right in. The bottom ones arent  too bad. Have to either drill it and clearance the two halves for the bushings lips or get the kit with the oversized pin which dissent use bushings.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 09, 2013, 07:19:31 AM
Quote from: Dino on April 09, 2013, 06:37:43 AM
Isn't the idea with the new pin kits to drill out both upper and lower and install a bushing on each?  I know the originals don't have bushings on the lower but to make a generic kit it makes sense that you'd have to modify that part.  I don't minnd either, I need the doors to be tight on the hinges, I don't care if there's a non stock bushing in there.

Dirk,

Paddock is gone.....  Mega parts has a really nice pair of kits. The top ones have bushings and commonly they just pop out and the new one slide right in. The bottom ones arent  too bad. Have to either drill it and clearance the two halves for the bushings lips or get the kit with the oversized pin which dissent use bushings.

I just looked at the pin kit.  http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=114%2D280004

If that's for one door then it's about twice the cost of other kits but if this is the kit to get the I'll suck it up.  So how does this work?  Two bushings for the top hinge and two for the lower where before there was none?

Seems easy enough.  (famous last words  :icon_smile_big: )

A383Wing

Dino, that's for one door....but I have never had to re-pin any of my upper hinges....just the lowers

Bryan

A383Wing

Already been done long ago

http://www.superbirdbob.com/acme-products/rebuilt-door-hinges/

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on April 09, 2013, 12:50:39 PM
Dino, that's for one door....but I have never had to re-pin any of my upper hinges....just the lowers

Bryan

That's interesting.  I've got a few minutes tomorrow so I'll see what's going on with the hinges.  Thanks for the tip.

kab69440

Quote from: A383Wing on April 09, 2013, 12:54:01 PM

Already been done long ago

http://www.superbirdbob.com/acme-products/rebuilt-door-hinges/

I don't see any bearings in that setup.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

HOTROD

On my lower I drilled out the hole right (to big) try ed to put a bushing in,it will not fit between the spaces on the hinge !
What the Hell-Dumass !

Patronus

^ I hear ya. I tried like hell and finally got em in there, 2 weeks later the head of the bushing got shaved to nothing. Sucks, but you may want to clearance that flange into the hinge. What's the deal with bearings in the hinge? Anyone making them yet?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

Wing it looks like you're right, the lowers are worn out but hte uppers seem fine.  They may have some play and I may put new bushings in there but yeah the lowers are the real problem.

So the megaparts kit is for one door so $15 (x2) + shipping.  Is this all that much better than the $8 (x2) napa kit that I can get down the road? 

The napa description says the kit is 1 pin and 4 bushings but shows 2 pins, 1 shorter than the other, so I guess they made a mistake on the website.

A383Wing

I bought my kits off ebay....problem is that you have to shave some meat off each of the ears that the bushings go into for the lower hinge to make it all fit together.

Word of caution: Be careful when drilling out the lower hinge for bushing....if you go a little too big, hinge is junk and you gotta find another one. I screwed up 2 of 'em before I got the right drill size to fit bushing.

Bryan