News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proud new owner of a '69 Charger!

Started by Rosco, April 08, 2013, 03:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

So I took the plunge and got one.
Drove down to Melbourne on Saturday - after some issues getting the trailer from my mate's house, nothing's ever simple - and brought her home!
As you can see in the second photo, I'm pretty stoked!

Did a little bit of an inspection on Sunday and took a few photos.

Apart from a few small dents at the top and bottom, the front grille is in great condition - no cracks or breaks, only a few tarnishes here and there.

Somebody did a fantastic job on repairing the rear-window channel and deck panel in the past :eek2:

Other than this spot, the tail light panel seems to be in pretty good condition.

Dash isn't the best, but it's not that bad either. That aftermarket tach is pretty ugly though, and will be going in the bin. it was held on with a hose clamp

All the usual boot floor rust, rear quarters, etc. Rear foot wells need patching, but I may just go for a whole new floor, depending what the rest looks like when I pull up the front of carpet.
"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

polywideblock

nice score  :2thumbs: are you going to convert or leave it a lefty

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Rosco

Quote from: polywideblock on April 08, 2013, 04:24:32 AM
nice score :2thumbs:are you going to convert or leave it a lefty

I'm thinking I'll probably leave it LHD. Whole lot of work, and it's only going to be a weekend cruiser. If I was planning something to drive more regularly, I probably would convert it. That may change down the track though. You're swapping yours over aren't you? or am I thinking of someone else? Relatively simple, just time consuming to do? Or is it a massive pain?

polywideblock

I'm not converting ,you  don't have to in  NSW so i  wouldn't think of it . I've had a few lefties and  their not that hard to drive over here, just takes common sense.   again top score  :2thumbs:

Rosco

Just did some checking, it was Darkman I was thinking of, not you, who's converting his '68.

Yeah, you don't need to here in Victoria either since it's over 30 years old - WELL over haha! Due to it's age, I could pretty much take it back to original, and register it, especially on Club/Historic Registration.

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to know a guy who has a Mustang, which I've driven a little bit. It's all good, specially if you've got someone in the passenger seat!

I forgot to mention, there's no fender tag - looks like it was removed for painting and not replaced afterwards, and no luck finding the build sheet. Any suggestions on where to look apart from under/in the rear seat? I don't plan on doing a factory spec resto, but it'd be one of those "nice to haves".

Chippa

Thats grouse matey  :2thumbs: enjoy the journey.... :2thumbs:

Chippa :cheers:

tan top

congratulations  , awesome stuff  :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

Quote from: Rosco on April 08, 2013, 05:15:42 AM
Just did some checking, it was Darkman I was thinking of, not you, who's converting his '68.

Yeah, you don't need to here in Victoria either since it's over 30 years old - WELL over haha! Due to it's age, I could pretty much take it back to original, and register it, especially on Club/Historic Registration.

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to know a guy who has a Mustang, which I've driven a little bit. It's all good, specially if you've got someone in the passenger seat!

I forgot to mention, there's no fender tag - looks like it was removed for painting and not replaced afterwards, and no luck finding the build sheet. Any suggestions on where to look apart from under/in the rear seat? I don't plan on doing a factory spec resto, but it'd be one of those "nice to haves".
under carpet , taped to glove box, in the front seats (either under or in seat back)  inside headliner   .I'm sure there are other places   :shruggy:   some one on here  will have a better idea                                 

projectanimal

Congratulations and welcome to the build!!! :2thumbs:  What's your first step?  After beer and staring at it!!  :rofl:
northwest CT

Rosco

Quote from: polywideblock on April 08, 2013, 05:46:43 AM
Quote from: Rosco on April 08, 2013, 05:15:42 AM

under carpet , taped to glove box, in the front seats (either under or in seat back)  inside headliner   .I'm sure there are other places   :shruggy:   some one on here  will have a better idea                                 
Ah well, since I plan on stripping everything out, if it's there somewhere I'll find it eventually I guess haha

Rosco

Quote from: projectanimal on April 08, 2013, 05:52:49 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the build!!! :2thumbs:  What's your first step?  After beer and staring at it!!  :rofl:

Sitting in it and revving it..? :yesnod:

Not sure... start to remove all the trim and small stuff that doesn't need to be on it. Bag 'n' tag everything, take a butt-load of photos.
First major thing is organise where to work on it. At the moment it's just sitting under cover in the carport.
Might be able to use the parent's garage... after moving enough of the junk out of it to fit in there...  :P

kokxville

Nice score,and you said it right.Proud owner just like all of us who own a 69 charger. :2thumbs:

Now,get your lazy ass away from your computer,and start working on that thing  :yesnod: lol

Good luck with it :cheers:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Rosco

It's after 9pm here in Australia, and unfortunately I need to go to work in the morning - car stuff doesn't just pay for itself!

projectanimal

Quote from: Rosco on April 08, 2013, 06:00:04 AM

Sitting in it and revving it..? :yesnod:

Not sure... start to remove all the trim and small stuff that doesn't need to be on it. Bag 'n' tag everything, take a butt-load of photos.
First major thing is organise where to work on it. At the moment it's just sitting under cover in the carport.
Might be able to use the parent's garage... after moving enough of the junk out of it to fit in there...  :P

Great plan!! That's exactly what we did, shitload of brown bags and a magic marker!!  :2thumbs:
It can be a bit overwhelming, but great to take it all apart!  We bought ours with less interior, and planned to just put it together and drive, but since we stripped the car down to a shell it only made sense to do body and paint first!  Take lots of pictures and post often!   :cheers: :popcrn:
What color are are going to make it? 
northwest CT

Baldwinvette77

Rosco

Quote from: projectanimal on April 08, 2013, 06:40:29 AM

Great plan!! That's exactly what we did, shitload of brown bags and a magic marker!!  :2thumbs:
It can be a bit overwhelming, but great to take it all apart!  We bought ours with less interior, and planned to just put it together and drive, but since we stripped the car down to a shell it only made sense to do body and paint first!  Take lots of pictures and post often!   :cheers: :popcrn:

Not 100% sure what colour I'm gonna go, and I probably won't be 'til it's much closer to paint time, but I'm leaning towards B7 blue. Black interior and white butt-stripe.

I also want to look into dropping in a 5-speed manual if I can get my hands on something suitable. Probably won't be any other major changes. At least, none planned yet...

projectanimal

Quote from: Rosco on April 08, 2013, 07:08:49 AM
Quote from: projectanimal on April 08, 2013, 06:40:29 AM

Not 100% sure what colour I'm gonna go, and I probably won't be 'til it's much closer to paint time, but I'm leaning towards B7 blue. Black interior and white butt-stripe.

I also want to look into dropping in a 5-speed manual if I can get my hands on something suitable. Probably won't be any other major changes. At least, none planned yet...

Sounds sweet!  Our car was originally blue on blue from factory, but PO painted it sublime! We like the sublime, so we're respraying sublime with black stripes and black interior!  Hope you find the build sheets.  Ours was long gone... :cheers:
northwest CT

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Daytona R/T SE

Rosco

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 08, 2013, 04:18:52 PM
16,750... :scratchchin:

Is that Dollars ? :shruggy:

Yeah, Aussie dollars.
The price on the window isn't what I paid for it though. It had been dropped from that, and I got it down a bit more

bill440rt

Congrats!  :2thumbs:  :cheers:

I like Animal's plan:
Step 1: Beer.
Step 2: Look at it.
Step 3: More beer.
Step 4: Look at it some more.
Step 5: Repeat as necessary.
:smilielol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Darkman

Congrats Rosco!

Yes it is me converting to RHD, only because of SA Registration. As I want full rego (not club or historic), I have to have it as it came of the production line (ie no modifications) and I don't want that either. So a conversion it is

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 08, 2013, 04:18:52 PM
16,750... :scratchchin:

Is that Dollars ? :shruggy:

Yes, it seems high, but that includes all the shipping, customs, taxes etc.

My $10k US Charger cost me $22K by the time it found a park in my driveway

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Rosco

Quote from: Darkman on April 08, 2013, 09:18:09 PM
Congrats Rosco!

Yes it is me converting to RHD, only because of SA Registration. As I want full rego (not club or historic), I have to have it as it came of the production line (ie no modifications) and I don't want that either. So a conversion it is

So if you leave it LHD, to get full rego it has to be perfectly factory spec - no modifications at all - but if you convert it to RHD, (which would be a BIG modification), then the factory spec rule doesn't apply, is that right?  :shruggy:
SA rego laws sound stupid...