News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need info on 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Started by resq302, April 06, 2013, 08:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

A buddy I work with is going to look at a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a V-8.  Is there anything specific to look for?  I am aware of the issues with the ball joints.  The thing has about 150,000 miles.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Indygenerallee

listen for front wheel bearings. check the boots on the front CV shafts, make sure you check the transmission and transfer case good! A/C evaporator cores go bad on most (anything Dodge through those years) But they are great trucks, my 9 year old son's name is Dakota (shows how much I love the trucks!) I had a 98 Dakota R/T I put a 440 in and it was a BEAST!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

resq302

Trans and transfer case for what?  Cracks or leaks?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

If it's an automatic, that's the weakest link on these things...if the fluid is even the tiniest bit burnt or smells bad...run, run away

AC blend doors break inside the case, make sure the heat & cool air goes out all the selected vents as directed by the selector switch.

Ball joints & CV axles as mentioned

Check for catalytic converter rattle & check for codes (turn key on, off, on, off, then on again within 5 seconds and read codes in odometer LED panel)

Bryan

resq302

I have an Actron scan tool that I can bring with me but thanks for the other info and the reminder!
Brian

Indygenerallee

Just check the fluid to make sure it's not burnt and make sure you road test it thouroghly, get it in kickdown and make sure of no slippage, transfer case engagement of the 4x4, I have seen the OD unit crack off before the transfer case (although rare) I bought a nice 99 SLT Extended cab 4x4 318 Dakota with 120,000 on it 2 years ago with a busted OD unit for $1000.00 replaced the OD unit and made a easy $3000.00!!

resq302

how about rot areas?  anywhere they typically rot out?
Brian

A383Wing

Quote from: resq302 on April 06, 2013, 09:43:40 PM
how about rot areas?  anywhere they typically rot out?

The bed if it has a bed liner in it...I have a 94 Dakota...with 146,000 miles, no rust anywhere, been a local Seattle truck all it's life

Bryan

Indygenerallee

cab corners down low on the rocker pinch weld.

A383Wing

Also check for broken or missing exhaust manifold to head bolts. Common problem with these engines as well

Bryan

resq302

ok, I would assume something like that would make and exhaust leak sound
Brian

Indygenerallee

Yes you usually will have a blown exhaust manifold gasket with the rusted off bolts but not always.

A383Wing

Quote from: resq302 on April 06, 2013, 10:01:12 PM
ok, I would assume something like that would make and exhaust leak sound

mine does, but only for a few minutes when first started cold, after it warms up a bit, noise goes away...drives me nuts....I got one broken bolt at the front on mine

(Check the water pump for looseness as well while yer under there before starting it up by grabbing the fan blade and working the pump back & forth)

Bryan

A383Wing

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 06, 2013, 10:16:22 PM
Yes you usually will have a blown exhaust manifold gasket with the rusted off bolts but not always.

Gaskets not used by factory as a rule on these...just manifold to head

Bryan

Indygenerallee

All the Magnums I have been into have had the exhaust gaskets (and I have been into more than a fair share) the older ones did not run exhaust manifold gaskets.

hatersaurusrex

+1 on the evaporator core.  I had a 99 with the I4 and my AC system died an untimely and dramatic death on a trip to Chattanooga in the August heat at only around 50K.   Was real fun when the compressor locked and I heard the skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at 75 mph.   I saved the day by stopping and buying a serpentine for a non A/C model and doing a quick change in the parking lot.   Not sure if the I4 has the same core as the 318 but overall I wasn't a big fan of that truck.    Crank trigger sensor decided to quit on me at 65K miles and when I finally totalled it at 85K in the snow, I was never so relieved to be out from under a truck.    For extra fun, between 99 and 01 or so they killed the 75K powertrain warranty so I was stuck with the 3/36 which was worthless at that point.  Game on, Daimler.

Will say though that the dealer (Nashville Dodge) treated me right when that happened, whereas the dealer for my current F150 saw nothing but dollars when I had a cam phaser problem (which was fixed for 1800 bucks and came back 20K miles later because they used the same defective part - smart idea Ford).   Think I might go back to Dodge when this Ford gets too old but for now I'm a bit soured on the quality of the 99 Dakota in general.    Every GM product I've seen since the 80's is an electrical nightmare so I'd only go over there if I absolutely had to (although the late model GMT800 Pickpus, Tahoes and Escalades are quite beautiful)

Would it be wrong for me to buy a Toyota pickup and put Dodge emblems on it?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

ACUDANUT

Everyone I have seen is in the junk yard. :scratchchin:

Cooter

99 Dakota with 150K on the clock? = Junk IMO. A 1999 Dakota with 150K on the clock that if the trans/engine/front suspension hasn't fallen out of and STILL only gets around 12 MPG? = Junk X2.  :Twocents:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

well, it is for a cop who I work with and it will not be his primary vehicle, but more of a beater truck for getting mulch, stone, bringing stuff down to his town dump, etc.  Kinda hard for him to put stuff like that in the back of his 08 explorer.  Plus the price isnt that bad considering.....$3000.
Brian

ACUDANUT

resale value of a 99 Dakota ain't 1500.