News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey my 71 is off for paint

Started by ottawamerc, April 07, 2013, 07:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Ya the time has finally come and my years and months of work have brought my project to the "last" big step of getting paint. We are so close now it seems unbelievable and luckily the weather up here is behind too so I have not missed any nice days yet for cruises. Loading the car onto the trailer was bitter sweet as I was happy that it was going but disappointed when I was driving the car onto the trailer that it (the trailer) came unhitched due to a stupid mistake and drove the hitch into the tail gate of my truck :brickwall: THEN in my second attempt the header flange bottomed out on the trailer and jolted me to a stop, thankfully no damage caused there :2thumbs: But hey its at the shop now so all is good!
I'll take some pics as the painting comes along, planning a base coat in Green Go and 3-6 coats of clear and wet sanding and polish along the way should be AWESOME!

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

nvrbdn

wow, sounds like you had a bit of excitement getting her loaded. glad it all worked out. cant wait to see updates. as far as the trailer goes, you can cat a couple 2x8's and bevel the edges. then mount them to the bed in the area that the tires will hit them lifting the car another 1 1/2 inches where the trans and exhaust would hit. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

projectanimal

Congrats!!!   :2thumbs:
We are on the same page as you, look forward to seeing the shine!!   :cheers: :popcrn:
northwest CT

Fitz73Chrgr

Can't wait to see some color on it!  :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

ottawamerc

Quote from: nvrbdn on April 07, 2013, 09:07:54 AM
wow, sounds like you had a bit of excitement getting her loaded. glad it all worked out. cant wait to see updates. as far as the trailer goes, you can cat a couple 2x8's and bevel the edges. then mount them to the bed in the area that the tires will hit them lifting the car another 1 1/2 inches where the trans and exhaust would hit. :2thumbs:

Ya thats a good idea, I ended up disconnecting the trailer from the truck, chocking the trailer tires and letting it tilt up with the weight of the car coming on it. Worked but was tougher than needed be, it will go on the trailer only once more and I will use that method next
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

myk

Exciting stuff-I hope the shop takes care of you guys...

ottawamerc

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I can't believe it but its done! The final preps were done and into the paint booth last Thursday where we masked it all up and then on Friday the paint started flowing, first with another base of primer then the base of Green Go. That part went well then..... it was another hour or so of sanding with #800 to smooth en it out then 3 coats of clear. Saturday and Sunday, yep more sanding with #800 to prep for the next 3 coats of clear that was sprayed on Sunday night.

All taped up!

Base paint

3 coats of clear

Sanded with #800 ready for 3 more coats

Crappy pic of the assembly today

After assembling "the big parts" bumpers etc. came the next big step, the first drive with a whole new engine and drive train right down to the lug nuts. I gotta tell ya I was nervous as hell but it ran AWESOME :2thumbs: Drove the 20Kms from the paint shop to home with no issues, ran nice and cool and when I got close to home I gave it a couple of light bursts, Ya its good!!!

Now its wet sanding and buffing and final assembly, oh yeah baby!!

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Rosco

"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

billfury

projectanimal

Congratulations!!!!  Such a great feeling and now the fun of the details can take place!  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :cheers:
northwest CT

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

firefighter3931

It turned out great Scott....congrats  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WHITE AND RED 69

Love the color! Looks great!    :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

JB400

Car looks great :drool5:  Any plans to put any stripes or black outs on it anywhere?

ottawamerc

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 09, 2013, 05:45:33 AM
Car looks great :drool5:  Any plans to put any stripes or black outs on it anywhere?

Ya all original R/T stripes and hood black out to go on yet after paint cures for a couple of weeks. Anyone know somebody in the Ottawa area that does that? (put on stripes etc.)

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

projectanimal

Quote from: ottawamerc link=topic
/quote]

Ya all original R/T stripes and hood black out to go on yet after paint cures for a couple of weeks. Anyone know somebody in the Ottawa area that does that? (put on stripes etc.)

We ordered decals from Phoenix graphics and our painter is going to help install.  Find a local guy to help and order the decals!   :cheers:
northwest CT

ottawamerc

Oh I allready bought the graphics awhile ago from Graphics Express

FJ6N96

Paul G

I like the green and brown colors. They were very popular back in the day. Dropped out of style for a while, but coming back. Your Charger is looking good!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ottawamerc

Update:

After the quick minimum parts required to drive the car I drove it home, it was the first time it had ever been over 10Kmh I checked the odometer and was relived to see a good and lucky sign that this first drive was going to be ok

The drive went extremely well the engine ran smooth and at normal temps, the tranny was tight and firm shifts, everything worked like it had never been totally disassembled for 2 years  :woohoo:  Next came another eye opener in the wet sanding and buffing of the finish, I never would have guessed that this step would be soooo labor intensive.. Now that I have completed the 1000 - 1500- and 2000 grit wet sanding I finally got to the buffing last night and I get to see the benefits of all those hours,, it looks great :2thumbs:

I have taken the car out for a couple of short hops and even at the stage its at it has been gathering alot of attention, I'm very happy with the way its turning out so far.