News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replating Brake Hoses

Started by 69hemidaytona, April 07, 2013, 12:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

Has anybody ever attempted to replate the end fittings of brake hoses? If so, how did it turn out and what kind of plating is it?...Thanks

charge69

Probably cost you more to replate than just buy new ones. They are cheap and I would just buy new ones, myself.

John_Kunkel

The metal end fittings are plated before the hoses are crimped, trying to replate the fittings with the rubber hoses installed would most likely destroy the hoses.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

I'd just replace them.  The original lines are old and probably corroded inside anyway.  It'd be cheaper to replace them than use the guy in front of you or a light pole to stop anyway.

69hemidaytona

These are date coded NOS hoses that are nearly impossible to find. The plating is wore off a bit and I have been told that it is possible that they can be replated while still crimped onto the hose. I just wonder if the liquid used in the plating procedure would damage the rubber.

JB400

I'd talk to a plater.  He'd know more about the chemicals.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on April 09, 2013, 01:38:48 AM
These are date coded NOS hoses that are nearly impossible to find. The plating is wore off a bit and I have been told that it is possible that they can be replated while still crimped onto the hose. I just wonder if the liquid used in the plating procedure would damage the rubber.
Are you looking to restore to a 100% correct car? If not, stainless steel is the way to go. Some parts you don't want to buy NOS like rubber hoses.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

69hemidaytona

Yes I am looking to do an OE type resto. The plater really isn't sure if the plating solution will cause any problems or not. It is an acidic solution but he thinks it won't be in the tank long enough to do any damage. He tells me he will rinse it real well but I don't want to have a brake hose blow out. Has anybody out there tried this?

JB400

Just a suggestion, try using a different one as a guinea  pig.

maxwellwedge

Tony - I have done power steering hoses with no issues....good suggestion above - try an odd ball hose and see how it works out.

What does Roger say?

69hemidaytona

Roger says that he has had some leak after replating them, however those were used brake hoses. I too have a PS hose that is replated but I have not installed it yet. Roger has not had any problems with PS hoses. Since my brake hoses are NOS I'm thinking they might hold up better to replating than used ones will. It could be a disaster though if one blew out at the wrong time. I had already decided to find another cheaper non date coded NOS hose to experiment with. I wonder if there is a way to hook it up to a machine and pressure test it rather than finding a car to install it on to test it out. Of course just because my test hose works fine doesn't necessarily mean the date coded ones will. All of these decisions to make!! :pullinghair:  Thanks for the input guys.

JB400

You can hook up an air pressure gauge to it and do a pressure test.  Just need some fittings.

bill440rt

Years ago I had the all the A/C hose ends replated on my '70. The hoses were still intact, and you could see the original markings on the rubber.
To date there are no issues or leaks due to the rubber. Plating came out nice.

Might work as well for the brake hoses, but I could surely understand your concern regarding safety. If your plater doesn't have the answer, I would talk to a few more or at least research the chemicals involved & see if they have any effect on rubber.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce