News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Experiences with 2006 F250 - I'm looking to buy one

Started by 68X426, April 07, 2013, 12:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

I've been looking at used trucks - 3/4 diesels, under 100k miles. I sure would like it to be a Ram, but the sellers all want way beyond blue book values. Way beyond. So today a very solid Ford crossed my path.

It's a 2006 F250, with the 6.0 L Power Stroke diesel, with 65k. The features I want all line up, plus it has a provable maintenance record and service. At a great price.  :2thumbs:

So - what are the specific experiences out there with the 6.0 diesel, and other issues, with a 2006 F250?  :scratchchin:

Thanks everyone, Dan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Indygenerallee

6.0's are way BELOW book value usually because they are 6.0's!!! Head gasket and EGR cooler problems, It's a good engine when those problems are fixed (more powerful than a 7.3) but if those head gaskets are not replaced and studded head bolts installed along with fixing the EGR cooler it's a ticking EXPENSIVE time bomb, seen way too many 04-up 6.0's at the auctions that go for 5-6,000 below loan value regularly, I don't buy them for the lot because the minute you say 6.0 people start walking the other way!! Also to fix the head gaskets on those trucks the cab has to come off, it's at the cheapest a $3500.00 repair and at Ford usually $6500.00. I would look for something else unless you can verify the truck has had those repairs.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

lukedukem

Dan I gotta agree with Indy, although this doesn't happen to every truck. I had a 2003 ford that had the 6.0 in it, it was a late 03 model. I bought it with 75000 miles on it and put 50,000 on it before I traded it in on a cummins in 06. That ford would haul ass and whatever I put behind it. It had 410 gears. Now I have a very good friend that works for ford and at the time he said " if you can afford it get a cummins and ditch the 6.0" so I did. He told me that if you put a chip in it or pull a lot it will break, like what Indy said above. I towed a little with it. The most I ever towed was a Polaris ranger with about 1k pounds of corn. Not much at all. They don't all break. My uncle has put a lot of miles on his 05 and had no issues, but he doesn't tow and has no chip.  So depending on what you do with it is what it will result in. But you by a diesel to use and chances are it will break, murfys law. And if you replace the head studs with ARP ones it will help prevent the head gaskets from blowing. Google it, there are places that do just this and others stuff to prevent this from happening. Do your research. Choose wisely.
Oh yeah, the cummins owners know what they got and they ask a lot for it. Hope this helps. Let me know if there are anymore questions.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68X426

Ouch, none of this is what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys for sharing real world experience.

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

lukedukem

No problem. Have you considered a ram with 150k or so miles. They have a proven record of lasting 300k before rebuilds. Cheaper too. Just watch for ones that were chipped or lifted and abused. Not that I'm against that but you run into more problems when that starts, IMO. I've got 98k on my 06 and all I've done is change the water pump at 55k under warranty. No chip, and it pulls my 18ft trailer with my 38hp John Deere with no issues.
Just another option. But if its under 100k you want those cummins sellers realize what's going on with diesels and yeah, they jack the price up. Good luck. I can keep an I open down here is south texas. Those trucks are everywhere so it might be cheaper down here. Idk.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Silver R/T

If I were to go with Ford I'd pick a 7.3 powerstroke.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ACUDANUT

I love Ford trucks, But I would run from a 6.0 as fast as I can.
There is a website (legal) issues with anyone who bought one new.  That engine  (made by Navistar/international) are in deep trouble...However the EPA is the one killed the 7.3  :brickwall:

Indygenerallee

Nice Cummins are expensive up here in Indiana I regulary see 99-01 5.9's (2500 4x4 ext. cabs) NICE bringing $10-$12,000 with 200,000 miles. I sold a 04 quad cab with 139,000 miles for $16,500 a couple months back.

lukedukem

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 07, 2013, 11:23:41 AM
There is a website (legal) issues with anyone who bought one new.  That engine  (made by Navistar/international) are in deep trouble...However the EPA is the one killed the 7.3  :brickwall:

Yeah, I act sully got a letter in the mail regarding the lawsuit. If I stilled owned the truck. But it's against ford and not NAVSTAR.  :shruggy:

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Cooter

6.0 Ford Diesels? = JUNK X10....Navistar junk Google is your friend here.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargerboy69

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 07, 2013, 11:23:41 AM

This.

I love my Ford truck. . . just love it, but it is a 7.3.  Step back a couple years to a 2003 and get yourself a 7.3. I am pushing 300,000 miles on my F-350, and that is not Sunday driving miles.  These miles are hard, hauling campers of all sizes back from auctions to my dealership 3 to 4 days a week, 40 weeks a year. I change my oil and transmission fluid every 5000 miles.

I have heard of many people taking in their 6.0 and having the head bolts done early, before the gaskets blow and they are perfectly happy with their 6.0's.  Personally, I would pass.

I have heard only good things about the new 6.7's they just introduced, may be kinda pricey though.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Cooter

You couldn't GIVE me a diesel truck nowadays. Used to be a time when they are the Bees kness. Now, the fuewl is hgiher, the trucks are hgiher, the Emissions have caused the engines to blow, and now, they all have the DPFE filters on them causing them to be driven for "Re-Gen" cycles every so often.

$50K for a newer Diesel, that when right after it's out of warranty, the neigne blows, and it costs me 10 times what a replacemnt GAS engine costs?

Yeah, the extra $1.00/gal you save at the pump, and extra 4 MPG over a 50K mile range should help pay for that new $10K engine. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

73rallye440magnum

Ever wonder why Ford puts Cummins engines in their Medium Duty trucks?
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

dyslexic teddybear

Cummins.

Coming up to 300k on my 96......nothing has been done to it. Just maintenance. Truck has had a couple of things, nothing to the motor. Totally satisfied with this rig.

I'm a long time Cummins guy.....there's a reason for the price.

Indygenerallee

300k on that 96 you ever know if they fixed the "Killer dowel pin" ??? It's like rolling the dice, I have taken them apart to find the pin out where it fell out and missed the gears but if it finds itself inbetween the gears bad things happen!!  :lol:

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 07, 2013, 10:40:53 PM
300k on that 96 you ever know if they fixed the "Killer dowel pin" ??? It's like rolling the dice, I have taken them apart to find the pin out where it fell out and missed the gears but if it finds itself inbetween the gears bad things happen!!  :lol:

Would have to agree, that's not really maintenance.

But.......nothing was broken, so locking it, wasn't really repairing anything either. :icon_smile_big:

With my luck......after writing this, I've jinxed it.

skip68

The 7.3 was the best motor Ford ever had.  I've had 3 of them and nothing but love for them.   I sold my last one with 287,000 miles, still got 18mpg towing.   You've got to keep the oil changes up and filters and they just keep running.   Cummings is probably just as good.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

ACUDANUT

Cummings are getting to be jinxed by the EPA too. And Dodge... aka..Ram has made these simple 6 bangers a electrical nightmare.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 08, 2013, 01:19:59 PM
Cummings are getting to be jinxed by the EPA too. And Dodge... aka..Ram has made these simple 6 bangers a electrical nightmare.

Exactly the reason I will not let my 96 go. Not run in the salt and never has been. No mater what the milage gets to....I will fix it and keep it.

And now that Dodge Truck no longer exists....I even have less reason to want a new one.

Cooter

Urea filters (Basiclaly, a cat converter for Diesels) have become...Won't be long till Musclecars are required to have Cat. Converters.

Indygenerallee

That's why I love Indiana we don't have any state vehicle inspection B.S.

Cooter

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 09, 2013, 12:07:55 PM

Well, I would think Removing the Urea filter is a Federal thing more than a State wide thing, but you just give it time, and Indiana will be required to offer some form of State Inspection.

lukedukem

Quote from: Cooter on April 10, 2013, 06:33:14 AM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 09, 2013, 12:07:55 PM

Well, I would think Removing the Urea filter is a Federal thing more than a State wide thing, but you just give it time, and Indiana will be required to offer some form of State Inspection.

it is : "Clean Air Act" – which is incorporated into the United States Code as Title 42,
Chapter 85.   In recent years, EPA has adopted a "systems approach" to the regulation of new diesel engines,
thus, regulating the emissions and the fuel together. This makes sense because the removal of
sulfur from diesel fuel is necessary to allow the efficient use of highly effective after-treatment
emission control devices. With this system approach, EPA regulations will:
     â€¢ Reduce nitrogen oxides (NOx) and fine particulate matter PM2.5 from new heavy-duty
highway diesels (e.g., trucks and buses) by about 90%, effective in 2007 for PM , and 2007-
2010 for NOx. Effective as of January 1st 2010, the emission level of particulate matter
should be reduced from 2002 level of 0.1 g/bhp-hr to 0.01g/bhp-hr (brake horsepower hour).
Nitrogen oxide (NOx) exhaust emissions — which contribute to acid rain, smog and
greenhouse gas levels — must be reduced from 1.2 g/bhp-hr in 2007 emission levels to 0.20
g/bhp-hr in 2010 emission level.
     â€¢ Reduce nitrogen oxides (NOx) and fine particulate matter PM2.5 from new heavy-duty nonroad
diesels (e.g., construction, farming and logging equipment) by about 90%, effective in
the 2011-2014 time frame depending on the pollutant and the size of engine.
     â€¢ Reduce the sulfur content in highway diesel fuel to 15 ppm ("ultra-low sulfur diesel" fuel, or
"ULSD" fuel) beginning in late 2006.
     â€¢ Reduce the sulfur content in land-based non-road diesel fuel in two steps, to 500 ppm in
2007 and 15 ppm beginning in 2010.
     â€¢ Reduce the sulfur content in diesel fuel used in new locomotive and many marine engines in
two steps, to 500 ppm in 2007 and 15 ppm beginning in 2012.
    EPA has also announced its intention to commence a rulemaking designed to substantially
reduce emissions from new locomotives and many marine engines, taking advantage of the
highly effective after-treatment control devices made possible by the availability of ULSD fuel.
The challenging task is urging EPA to adopt the most stringent limits achievable with reasonable,
cost-effective approaches.
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

RIDELIKEHELL

My neighbor just bought a 2005 with the 6.0..... :icon_smile_blackeye:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

charger_fan_4ever

My buddy bought an 04 Harley 250 with a 10 inch lift real nice looking truck back when it was 2-3 years old. Cost him 50k. He has blown 3 engines apart and is on his 4th in less than 100k miles. Hes got over 100k into this thing with all the reapirs :O :O
First engine the egr let go and hydrolocked on the highway(scary ride).Last 2 engines have been studded and egr delete. Bigger turbo and injectors,chip. Egts got hot and blew the rings and chunks of pistons right threw the turbo.
Plus the 6L is a joke to start in the winter. 5 degrees below freezing my neighbor has to plug his in or it literally either wont start or have to crank for 30 seconds or more. Been like that since new.

Around here you can buy a (not sure when they went to 6.4) 250 4x4 2007-8 for 8k or less quite often.

I tried to convince him to put a 12v cummins in there, but he is a ford guy.
He had a lifted 02 7.2 prior with aq bigger turbo,injectors ect. Never had any major meltdowns with it.

I have this 99 cummins for sale 220k miles
 :popcrn:

no rust and its an eastern truck

ACUDANUT

EPA has also announced its intention to commence a rulemaking designed to substantially
reduce emissions from new locomotives and many marine engines, taking advantage of the
highly effective after-treatment control devices made possible by the availability of ULSD fuel.
The challenging task is urging EPA to adopt the most stringent limits achievable with reasonable,
cost-effective approaches"...
Why is our EPA only worried and screwing us in the USA.  What about the rest of the world fu--king the environment. aka China. Mexico ect, ect

charger_fan_4ever

Europe is hardcore on environment. All the big rigs all have to go threw E-tests yearly. Every car is full under the hood with EGR and emmisions crap.

A few years ago my sister in law had the same 1995 diesel VW golf I had here in canada at the time. I was surprised when i popped the hood of her car and found all kinds of emiisions crap on it where the same north american model had nothing.

Thanks to the dry  ULSD fuel i run 2 stroke pre mix oil in my fuel tank on my 24valve cummins trucks.

ACUDANUT

Why is our EPA only worried and screwing us in the USA.  What about the rest of the world fu--king the environment. aka China. Russia, Mexico ect, ect

I feel your pain in EUROPE.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 11, 2013, 02:28:21 PM
Why is our EPA only worried and screwing us in the USA.  What about the rest of the world fu--king the environment. aka China. Russia, Mexico ect, ect

I feel your pain in EUROPE.

I'm in CANADA :P

As communist as quebec is I'm surprised we don't have it yet. Been rumors for years now that its comming as other provinces have had to for years.

Indygenerallee

Beautiful Cummins Charger_fan_4ever, I hope it's not a 53 block!! I had a 99 I loved and it had a 53 block and cracked out... pissed me off good. I tried stitch locking it and it held up for about 10,000 more miles then started leaking again! I had a buddy that cut a 53 block that had cracked and it was less that 5 millimeters thick in that area, shitty casting that Cummins let slide..... If you find a 53 block in anything other than a Dodge truck Cummins will warranty it but if it's in a Dodge your screwed...

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 07, 2013, 08:41:49 AM
6.0's are way BELOW book value usually because they are 6.0's!!! Head gasket and EGR cooler problems, It's a good engine when those problems are fixed (more powerful than a 7.3) but if those head gaskets are not replaced and studded head bolts installed along with fixing the EGR cooler it's a ticking EXPENSIVE time bomb, seen way too many 04-up 6.0's at the auctions that go for 5-6,000 below loan value regularly, I don't buy them for the lot because the minute you say 6.0 people start walking the other way!! Also to fix the head gaskets on those trucks the cab has to come off, it's at the cheapest a $3500.00 repair and at Ford usually $6500.00. I would look for something else unless you can verify the truck has had those repairs.  :Twocents:

Are you serious?   You have to pull the cab to replace a friggin head gasket? 
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Indygenerallee

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 11, 2013, 07:47:45 PM
Beautiful Cummins Charger_fan_4ever, I hope it's not a 53 block!! I had a 99 I loved and it had a 53 block and cracked out... pissed me off good. I tried stitch locking it and it held up for about 10,000 more miles then started leaking again! I had a buddy that cut a 53 block that had cracked and it was less that 5 millimeters thick in that area, shitty casting that Cummins let slide..... If you find a 53 block in anything other than a Dodge truck Cummins will warranty it but if it's in a Dodge your screwed...

I have a 2001 also. I looked at both for the 53 stamp, but didn't see it. Checked the passengers side for signs of a crack and didn't see. Read up on the cumminsforum about the 53 blocks and apparently its not all 53's just a certain series of 53's that are thin near the frost plug area. I thought 53's were the end of the day, but there are more 53's out there with lots of miles and mods than cracked ones.

There is a member over on moparman1973's board with over 900,000 miles on his 2001 53 block and others with over 500hp and no issues.

They do say with the 53's to go easy on them until they are warmed up.

Indygenerallee

Yeah I have heard a few cases of them not cracking but every single "53" block truck I have looked at was cracked, I would have to say if you have a 53 block truck and it's not cracked then your extremely lucky, generally the trucks that are not cracked are plain stock trucks with no programmers and have not had anymore added boost to want to "lift" the head and pull on the block, I have a friend that sells diesel engines and he had one in a 2000 and the block in that area was so thin it had not cracked yet but was porous enough coolant was seeping through the block,  Generally you see the 53 block in 99/00 trucks I have only ever heard of a handful in the 2001 trucks, The 53 blocks were made in Venezula I believe and all the other blocks were made in Mexico.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on April 11, 2013, 09:38:05 PM

^^
That is pure BS

hawkeye

:iagree:   i have a 04 e350 with 125k and have no major problems just alot of little ones.  a couple big things when running a 6.0 are, most oil can't take the injector pressure.  i only run amsoil.  the diesel fuel is so poor now that you need to run some kind of treatment, i run power service,  all the time.  1, to boost the cetane and, 2, to keep the egr system clean.  i also have 2 7.3's and a gm 6.5, the optimizer made by ih, not the old one made by gm and i have managed to get along with all of them.  having said all that, unless i was hauling large loads, long distances, i would opt for a gasoline powered truck.

Indygenerallee

QuoteQuote from: hatersaurusrex on April 11, 2013, 08:38:05 PM

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 07, 2013, 07:41:49 AM

6.0's are way BELOW book value usually because they are 6.0's!!! Head gasket and EGR cooler problems, It's a good engine when those problems are fixed (more powerful than a 7.3) but if those head gaskets are not replaced and studded head bolts installed along with fixing the EGR cooler it's a ticking EXPENSIVE time bomb, seen way too many 04-up 6.0's at the auctions that go for 5-6,000 below loan value regularly, I don't buy them for the lot because the minute you say 6.0 people start walking the other way!! Also to fix the head gaskets on those trucks the cab has to come off, it's at the cheapest a $3500.00 repair and at Ford usually $6500.00. I would look for something else unless you can verify the truck has had those repairs. 

^^
That is pure BS

Please explain why it is complete BS??

charger_fan_4ever

I have also heard of 6L's needing the cab lifted for repairs. I thought it was to change the fuel pump though. Mind you i wouldn't be surprised if it was so tight you can't get the heads off with the cab in place. I'd be willing to bet with headstuds noway the heads of the v8 diesel would be able to come off witht he cab in place. My old 95 7.3 powerstroke was no fun just taking the valve covers off to change the burnt up injector harness that run in oil under the Valve covers ? (WTF  how that got past the drawing board is beyone me.) Its like the truck was make around the valve covers, Had to take part of the ac off to get at the back bolt passengers side. You could not even see them laying on top of the motor. After that fiasco i said no more powerjokes for me and got the forsale sign. Atleast a cummins you can work on it under the hood if you have to. Its like a 350 under the hood of an old gmc truck everything is accessible.

I've had 4 dodge diesels and never lost a dime when reselling. Usually drove them a couple years and sold them for more than i paid lol.

Parts for the powerstrokes and duramax are so $$$ makes you want to stay away. Even the old 7.3 injectors are still what $200 a piece for remans ? All 6 aftermarket injectors for a 12/24v cummins are $350 or less for all six.

ACUDANUT

My Diesel Mechanic works on 6.0's and has never had to lift a cab to do a headgasket. :shruggy:

Indygenerallee

Bullshit. maybe he is a glutton for punishment or maybe your "mehanic" has never done one... I have 2 friends that work for Ford and you HAVE to lift the cab to get the heads to come off!! I have seen it first hand! and I am a ASE certified tech myself, there is no way your getting a damn 6.0 head off without lifting the cab.

73rallye440magnum

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/head-gasket-replacement-6-0-psd-204971/

What's the best way to kill a chicken?

At any rate, my '98 12 valve had a 53 block. No issues. I plan on buying another 12 valve when I'm done commuting. I loved that truck.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Indygenerallee

Looks like a back killer doing it that way! It may sound difficult but I would rather pull the cab instead of pull all that stuff out of the way and then kill your upper
body trying to wrangle a head back in that tiny hole. Heck I pull truck beds to replace fuel pumps, work smarter not harder...

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on April 13, 2013, 11:31:08 PM

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/head-gasket-replacement-6-0-psd-204971/

What's the best way to kill a chicken?

At any rate, my '98 12 valve had a 53 block. No issues. I plan on buying another 12 valve when I'm done commuting. I loved that truck.

LOL this sums it up quite well. This is a quote from the original poster that had the headgasket problem on the above thread on the dieselstop forum.

"Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 AM      #27 (permalink)
folding time

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Won't Hear from me again????
Hey Guys, I'm still around and going through different threads helping people. I've sold my Ford and being that my cousin is an Engineer for cummins, I just went out and got an 06 Ram with the 5.9 but still have a lot of valuable information on the 6.0 and my overhaul, as well as all the head bolts in the bed box of my truck as a friendly reminder to NEVER chip one of those things. You all are 100% correct in saying that I left the thread because of particular know-it-alls who like to prove how huge their dicks are by telling all of us who are brand new to the blown head gasket situation, looking for information, to our amazement, finding that this is a common thing. If you all need any information, I can try and dig up my old file on the truck when I fixed it and will assist and answer any questions as best I can. Bill "