News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Order in which to set timing, idle mix, idle rpm...

Started by vick79, April 05, 2013, 06:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vick79

Trying to get the idle timing, idle mix and idle speed right... My charger is a 727 auto, so im doing this while holding brake and transmission in D. What's the order in which I should proceed?

'70 Charger RT

Dmichels

I asume the correct factory procedure is in drive with brake on.
BE Carefull have some one at the wheel incase the brakes let go
1 set timing
2 set mixture
3 set idle speed
You may need to ajust the idle speed as you change timing and mixture to keep it running at an acceptable speed.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

vick79

Quote from: Dmichels on April 06, 2013, 09:40:10 AM
I asume the correct factory procedure is in drive with brake on.
BE Carefull have some one at the wheel incase the brakes let go
1 set timing
2 set mixture
3 set idle speed
You may need to ajust the idle speed as you change timing and mixture to keep it running at an acceptable speed.
Dave

I will try that order.

I set the timing for 14deg, idle speed to 750 and idle mix to max vacuum when theengine was hot, then I had a problem starting when engine was cold, had to turn idle mix down again and mess with timing again until it would start.
'70 Charger RT

Dmichels

plugs?
points?
choke?
many other things to check here did  it run OK before?
Vacuum leak?
tell us more
68 440 4 speed 4.10

vick79

Quote from: Dmichels on April 06, 2013, 08:21:31 PM
plugs?
points?
choke?
many other things to check here did  it run OK before?
Vacuum leak?
tell us more

New plugs, magnetic, new dist, electric choke, vacuum is good, rebuilt carb. I changed all this about a month ago and its been running great, fires right up when cold, hot.

Just been running rich, and a bit sluggish. I just guesstimated everything, the timing, idle mix and idle speed until i got my new timing light w/tach.

So i thought id set it back to factory settings.
'70 Charger RT