News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heavy Weight!

Started by TwistedShifter, March 29, 2013, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwistedShifter

On the way back home I decided to have the 1973 Charger weighed at the local transfer station. I was shocked on how heavy this gun boat is since I was thinking it would be about 3600 lbs. Wrong.

It was 4180.

My old 1963 Dodge Polara 440 model with me in it was only 3420 lbs. I do have some junk in my trunk, the car does too.  :smilielol: I figure about 75 lbs, of actual junk and I weigh in at a svelte 290. So, the car had 1/3 of a tank of gas, no carpet, no power windows, and has a/c, 15 inch rally wheels, 3815 lbs is still a shocker for me.
1973 Dodge Charger SE

Cooter

1971-74 Chargers were heavy. The ACTUAL weight of vehicles is ALWAYS alot more than people "think" it is, due mainly to the fact one CANNOT go by "title weight" as many do.
Just think, that car weighs the same as new Challenger/Charger and has NO fiberglass panels/ bumpers.
Only way to tell FOR SURE is weight your car on a RELIABLE scale. I hear it all the time at car shows. "Yeah, my 1984 Z/28 "only" weighs 3200 LBS. so I got your Charger by at least 1000 LBs"....Knowing damn good and well if they wieghed the car an F-body with T-tops weighs around 3600 LBs on a good day, with a small block.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TwistedShifter

I know the late model F bodies, GM that is, where heavy at 3900 lbs and under powered all day long too.

A friend of mine with a '64 Ford Fairlame, err, Fairlane, that weighs all of 3150 with his scrawny ass in it. He's been talking smack all day long. He can't drive for a hill of beans and wanted to run me at PIR in Portland.

I do have a NX 175 nitrous kit avail. Hmmmm.
1973 Dodge Charger SE

JB400

What makes his car worth running against?

TwistedShifter

The Fairlane he has comes with a '93 5.0 roller motor, t5 speed, with a 3.89 geared 9 inch rear end. Last year at PIR he popped an axle and I gave him hell over it. Last year when he had 3.25 gears it and went 14.30's but he can't cut a light, posted like .700 on a .500 light.

I am just happy to have the car back on the road and sorting it out since it sat since 1998 and have able to do most of the work myself outside of the transmission repair. The Charger only has 128000 miles on it. When I installed the performer manifold the engine was clean, no gunk or sludge, even under the valve covers.

I might get owned but at least enjoying it and not letting it rot means more than anything else. The person I picked it up from was getting ready to part it out since he thought it was an ugly car. I honestly like the body lines better than the other generation Chargers, IMO.
1973 Dodge Charger SE