News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis TVS Install

Started by charlie45, November 28, 2012, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

Hello,

I am looking into buying a Hotchkis TVS for my 1968 Dodge Charger.

I'm wondering how much it will approximately cost to have the system installed. Any experiences? How many hours do you think it would take for someone that is experienced with these things and Mopars take?

On that note: will the Hotckis setup lower the car significantly?

Thanks for the feedback! :cheers:

WHITE AND RED 69

The Hotchkis TVS setup is not bad to install if you want to give it a try yourself. Everything is bolt on except the subframe connectors. I did everything on my 69 except the subframe connectors in my driveway and it wasn't too bad of a job. If you decide to take it to a shop it's going to cost a pretty penny for the install. It's probably around $90-120 an hour and you are probably looking at 2 hrs for the leaf springs, 1 hr rear sway bar, 1 hr front sway bar, 2 hrs on the strut rods, 2 hrs for the control arms, and 1-2 for the subframe connectors. So it will be around $1000 plus the alignment. Maybe more if they hit a snag or maybe less if everything goes smooth? These are just estimates, I took a lot longer (I blame beer for that) but I took my time and enjoyed the process. 

Are you changing the torsion bars and shocks as well? I have the Hotchkis 1.03" torsion bars and it did lower the front of the car a bit even with the adjusters all the way in but not much. The rear will be lowered around 1-2". Mine is dropped down around 1 3/4" with a full tank of gas.

The quality of the Hotchkis parts are excellent. I am very happy with the Hotchkis products and it will transform the handling of any car. I think it's one of the best products on the market that keeps the torsion bar setup.    :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

stripe74au

Same here. I did mine myself in a day (was a big day), but had a shop install the subframe connectors. And I'm hardly a mechanic. I just got the shop to put the subframe connectors in when they were doing the wheel alignment; and they didn't miss me on the bill for that. Would hate to think what it would have cost for them to put the whole kit in.

But I did get the use of a friends 2 post hoist, made life a lot easier.

It doesn't lower the height of the front of the car but the hotchkis rear springs will bring the back down a good 1 1/2"; but then you bring the front down to suit.
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

charlie45

Thanks for the feedback, guys :2thumbs:

Will keep you posted on my impressions with the Hotchkis TVS...

Calif240

Did the system get installed? How's the performance? Very noticeable improvement?
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

charlie45

Haven't had it installed yet... Once I get it in I will give my impressions...  :icon_smile_big:

Kern Dog

Wow... The OP sure is a whirlwind of progress, huh?   :smilielol:
Do you work for the FEDERAL government?

Troy

I've owned my TVS for 2 years and the car is still a long way from needing it. But yeah, that's my fault for having 4 project cars and no time to work on them. Not everyone can install the stuff the day it arrives.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.