News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Welding troubles

Started by SmashingPunkFan, April 07, 2013, 10:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

Ok, its been a few months since working on the car, got back to it today.
Maybe I forgot how, but my welds are burning straight through. I've tried several different settings, including what the machine recommended.

I'm using 25/75 argon shielding gas, 30mm wire, and a hobart handler 140.
It said 2/30 for 16g. I've felt like I do best (at my attempts so far) with it set at 3/60 with the gas at cfh at 20. Not sure how I set it so weird, but it is somewhat working, the bead builds really tall though.

Any help would be super. Btw I'm workinh on the rear valance right now, its where the bumber support brackets come through
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

kab69440

The only piece of metal on the car anywhere close to 16ga is the clutch pivot bracket. Try 20/ 22 ga settings.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

SmashingPunkFan

Whoops! I meant 20g. I used the little tool it came with to measure metal, its 20g
Projects:

Dino

Try slowing down the wire speed a bit.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

I have a Hobart 140 with .023 wire and use 20 CFH and on most thin metal 1/35-40 and for thicker stuff 2/45-50.  For frames I use 3/60.  For .030 wire you would need a slower wire speed.  I hardly ever burn thru.  You may need to check the tension settings on the wire feed.  Did you set the welder up for mig gas welding?.  The machine comes from the manufacturer set up for flux welding. I would think 3/60 is way too hot and way too fast.  :Twocents:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: green69rt on April 08, 2013, 11:14:31 AM
I have a Hobart 140 with .023 wire and use 20 CFH and on most thin metal 1/35-40 and for thicker stuff 2/45-50.  For frames I use 3/60.  For .030 wire you would need a slower wire speed.  I hardly ever burn thru.  You may need to check the tension settings on the wire feed.  Did you set the welder up for mig gas welding?.  The machine comes from the manufacturer set up for flux welding. I would think 3/60 is way too hot and way too fast.  :Twocents:

Yea, I followed the instructions it came with. Its set for mig. I'm gonna try that
Projects:

1BAD68

Definitely slow down the wire speed, try pushing the weld instead of dragging and double check the polarity.

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Use 0.023 wire.  Start with both the amps & wire speed pretty low and see what happens.  If you aren't getting enough heat/penetration with thin wire + low wire speed, then throw more amperage at it.  Increasing the wire speed will put more heat into the panel as a side-effect, but IMHO you should be mainly using wire speed to decide how much filler metal the puddle is getting. 

Wire size, amperage, and wire speed . . .  You usually want all three settings to be at least within the ballpark of each other.  If you have one of them turned all the way up while another one is all the way down, then you are probably doing something wrong.