News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Surging under steady speeds

Started by billschroeder5842, April 01, 2013, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

My 383 is surging occasionally under steady speeds and steady RPM. When I accelaerate, the car seems to take it all and does not miss a beat.howver, when I'm cruising, the car seems to surge or miss enough that I'm writing this post.

I have a new factory electric dizzy, timing set about 18 initial, new holley carb, new plugs.

Any ideas?
Texas Proud!

A383Wing

I had same issue...it was too lean..had to go a step bigger on the primary jets in carb

Bryan

John_Kunkel

You might try turning the idle mixture screws out a little...the idle circuit still feeds at cruise.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MSRacing89

You mention 18 initial, what is your total?  Vacuum advance?  You could pulling too much timing and cruise.......good recipe for a surge.  If you are running vacuum, unplug/cap it and go for drive and see if the surge goes away.  If so, you may need to recurve the distributor.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

ODZKing

I had the exact same issue with my 67 383. It was a 2bbl and I tried everything. Electronic ignition, points, plugs, carb adjust, anything I could think of.
What finally cured the issue was changing it to a 4bbl.
It was choking.
So the carb suggestion sounds like the right way to proceed imho.
Or get rid of the Holley and get a Carter/Edlebrock.
My 2 cents.

Cooter

Stay with Holley Stock jets for now, and check to see how much TOTAL timing you have., Sounds like too much Vacuum advance at Cruise.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

oldschool

Quote from: MSRacing89 on April 01, 2013, 05:44:37 PM
You mention 18 initial, what is your total?  Vacuum advance?  You could pulling too much timing and cruise.......good recipe for a surge.  If you are running vacuum, unplug/cap it and go for drive and see if the surge goes away.  If so, you may need to recurve the distributor.

or just do away with the vacuum advance.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

XH29N0G

It didn't used to do this right?  If so, I would first check ignition/advance and then look to caruburetor.  The jets might be fine.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

billschroeder5842

I double checked the timing last night and made sure that it was about 18 degrees. I'll take it for a ride tonight and see what happens.
Texas Proud!

XH29N0G

Missed the statement about the new dizzy and carb.  Which carb do you have? 

I swapped in a 670 avenger to mine last year and had similar problems.  The issue I ran into was (I think mostly) the points - which would not be your issue, but I also found that changing the jets (a little) from those that came with the carb helped.  I had other issues too, like backfire, hesitation, etc... 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68 RT

Surging at cruise is almost always a lean condition.  :cheers:

billschroeder5842

I have a holley 750, vacuum secondary, dual line.....

So the way I understand it, I'll need to back out the adjustment screws?

any adjustment tips are welcomed!
Texas Proud!

MSRacing89

It does not matter what your initial is in this situation.  The surge will result in too much total timing.  If you just advance your intial without re-curving the total= problems.  Plus, if you are running Vacuum advance, this will only multiply the issue.

Start with unplugging the vacuum line to the carb from the distributor and cap the ported outlet.  Take for a drive and report.

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

billschroeder5842

Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

No joy. Rainy evening in Dallas/Ft Worth.

No driving in the rain for me.

I'll try again tonight.
Texas Proud!

68 RT

Increase primary jet size up one size till surge is gone. Pull some plugs and see if you are lean.   :cheers:

billschroeder5842

So here is a different idea...

I have the electronic choke and the electric fuel pump attached to the positive side of the coil.

Codul thank create a problem?
Texas Proud!

John_Kunkel

The (+) side of the coil is the wrong place to hook up any electrical accessory because the voltage there is reduced. The blue wire on the voltage regulator is 12V, hook them there.

Might/might not be your surging problem.

billschroeder5842

Just made the change. Test drive forth coming....
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

SUccess and a new situation...

The surging seemed to eliminate and the car is rock solid at 3000 rpms. If I go and "higher" say 3500ish, the tach jumps wildely and the engine missed.

I did retard the timing a little while ago to compensate for the surge.

Do I need to advance the timing back to 18ish from the 12?
Texas Proud!

MSRacing89

Did you ever check your total timing, or unplug your vacuum advance as suggested???  I do not know how else to explain this, but the initial timing will have nothing to do with a surge/ miss at 3500rpm.  So the question to go from 12 to 18 really has no relevance in this situation.

billschroeder5842

No, never did that---yet.

My thought is that the coil was being "taxed" my the fuel pump.

Wouldn't I or Shouldn't I reset the timing (advance) anyway now that it seems that a contributor was the electrical?
Texas Proud!

John_Kunkel

The tach jumping at the same time the engine starts to miss suggests an electrical problem....maybe in the distributor.  :shruggy: