News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tailight bulb sockets - replacement

Started by Deacon, September 30, 2007, 11:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deacon

I just got a 72 Charger, and I can't get the old talight bulbs out of their sockets on 1 side.  The bulbs broke and I tried wd40 and needlenose pliers, but they won't come out.  Is there a way to remove the sockets without taking off the bumper (that's what the manual says)?  It's a tight fit, but can't I just reach up from behind and twist them out?  I tried it already, but I was afraid to twist too hard and make things worse.  Are the replacement sockets available at most auto part stores

Charger-Bodie

arent the sockets crimped into the t lamp housing on thse cars?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Deacon

I think you're right.  I'll keep trying to get the old bulb bases out.

Nacho-RT74

sockets aren't crimped, they are an inner "cup"inside the exterior "cup". Between both is located the tail light housing. but I don't think you will be able to remove without break it after all these years.

Dunno if there are replacements available.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Deacon

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to Hershey next week and I'll see what I can find.

ipstrategies

I took my 71's out and then sprayed wd 40 into sockets and let soak around it for a few days and  then used a large wooden dowel rod to push down in the broken light base and turned while holding the back of the socket base so it would not break the plastic taillight housing, I took my time and got them out and was happy to find the the light base itself was corroded and the light socket was ok.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Deacon