News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Non-DOT approved wheels on street..?

Started by T16, April 02, 2010, 05:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T16

I´m searching for some steel wheels for my 3rd gen. I´ve found some really cool light weight wheels but non of them are DOT approved.
I´m a little bit concerned about the safety aspect of running wheels like that on the street. But hey.. they are built for hard racing.. and my Charger is not a daily driver. So is it really a big problem..?

Yeah.. I know Basset offer a DOT wheel. But not with custom backspacing  :icon_smile_angry:

HPP

I depends somewhat on the intended aplication of the wheel is and the intended tire sizes used as to what type of trouble you may run in to on the street.

Wheels built specifically for drag racing may pop the centers under heav lateral loading. Wheels built for oval track have strong centers but thinner hoops which can bend easily from potholes and railorad crossings. Short sidewal tires can increase the likely hood of these types of failures happening. Also consider that most racing wheels are built for cars that are lighter weight than a fully dressed street vehicle, so load ratings are a concern as well.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: T16 on April 02, 2010, 05:02:43 PM
I´m searching for some steel wheels for my 3rd gen. I´ve found some really cool light weight wheels but non of them are DOT approved.
I´m a little bit concerned about the safety aspect of running wheels like that on the street. But hey.. they are built for hard racing.. and my Charger is not a daily driver. So is it really a big problem..?

Yeah.. I know Basset offer a DOT wheel. But not with custom backspacing  :icon_smile_angry:

The main difference between Aero or Basset's racing wheels vs. their DOT stamped wheels is the material thickness. The DOT wheels have a mandated material thickness of .120 (I think) whereas the racing wheels are thinner, to save on weight.

Even though they aren't DOT stamped, I wouldn't really hesitate to run one of their racing wheels on the street. Those wheels take an incredible amount of abuse of the track, and withstand significant forces. I don't think you will have a single problem.

Highbanked Hauler

I have been running 15 X 10" stock car wheels on my car for years with no problem. Just be sure to use the 45* stock car  lug nuts  as the angle of stock lug nuts is different.  Also don't  go with any more than 4" back space as they will hit your upper ball joint (been there done that).  I got my wheels from a shop in RI. that builds to order but if I was going to do it again I would go with Aero wheels so you don't have run out problems.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 08, 2010, 07:28:20 PM
I have been running 15 X 10" stock car wheels on my car for years with no problem. Just be sure to use the 45* stock car  lug nuts  as the angle of stock lug nuts is different.  Also don't  go with any more than 4" back space as they will hit your upper ball joint (been there done that).  I got my wheels from a shop in RI. that builds to order but if I was going to do it again I would go with Aero wheels so you don't have run out problems.

Also, those wheels are drilled for a larger 5/8in stud. I don't know if you can just get away with running 45* lug nuts on factory studs, or if you need to upgrade the studs too.

HPP

If they are genuine stock car wheels, they will use a 45* lug nut. However, a d.o.t. approved, stock car "appearing" wheel will use the oem 60* lugs.

While true stock car wheels are designed to fit over 5/8" studs, you do not need to change to 5/8 studs to use them. You can simply ugrade to a 1" hex, 1/2-20 racing lug and be fine.

Ponch ®

Bumpin an old thread rather than starting a new one....

Quote from: HPP on April 08, 2010, 09:37:08 PM
If they are genuine stock car wheels, they will use a 45* lug nut. However, a d.o.t. approved, stock car "appearing" wheel will use the oem 60* lugs.

While true stock car wheels are designed to fit over 5/8" studs, you do not need to change to 5/8 studs to use them. You can simply ugrade to a 1" hex, 1/2-20 racing lug and be fine.

So the 45 degree lugs solve that problem? I just ordered aero wheels and will get them installed in the next couple of days. Also, will there be any issue b/c I read that the center hub opening on the wheels is larger than on a street/DOT wheel?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Patronus

Nice, can't wait to see em on! I've run Bassetts for a season with no trouble. Get the lugs tho!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

JB400

As mentioned, Bassett has the right lugnuts and you shouldn't have any trouble

http://www.bassettwheel.com/accessories.html

If you have a local dirt track speedshop in your area, they should have them as well.

Ponch ®

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on March 25, 2013, 10:52:45 PM
As mentioned, Bassett has the right lugnuts and you shouldn't have any trouble

http://www.bassettwheel.com/accessories.html

If you have a local dirt track speedshop in your area, they should have them as well.

I ordered 45 deg. lugs from summit (1/2" - 20). Should be arriving this afternoon...if I can get over to the tire shop before they close, I'll have them on by tonight.  :2thumbs:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

dangina

So the 45 degree lugs solve that problem? I just ordered aero wheels and will get them installed in the next couple of days. Also, will there be any issue b/c I read that the center hub opening on the wheels is larger than on a street/DOT wheel?

I've been runnign them like this on my drift car for over 5 years and not one problem, and oh man the abuse I put them through:)

Ponch ®