News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass front bumper yes or no

Started by greenpigs, March 27, 2013, 02:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would you pick, cost is my main reason.

Yes
4 (28.6%)
No
9 (64.3%)
Put a push bar on it
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

greenpigs

I know stock they don't weigh much but run around $340 with shipping and I can get a fiberglass one for $120 or so & have it painted for around $100 to look like chrome.

My Charger will never be a show car & to be honest that new bumper would make everything else look even worse.

The rear needs re chromed & the front I have is beat up bad.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

JB400

Depends on what the car is used for.  If it is a dragstrip terror, go glass.  If it's a street cruiser, go steel.  After one bumper bender, you'll be glad you did.

polywideblock

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on March 27, 2013, 02:40:00 AM
Depends on what the car is used for.  If it is a dragstrip terror, go glass.  If it's a street cruiser, go steel.  After one bumper bender, you'll be glad you did.
have to agree steel for the street :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

tan top

:yesnod: what the other guys say  :coolgleamA:
street   steel  :yesnod:
fiberglass , like S400W said drag strip , where you want to get as much weight off the front end , so the front end rises faster , better weight transfer  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

doctor4766

Quote from: greenpigs on March 27, 2013, 02:37:26 AM
I know stock they don't weigh much but run around $340 with shipping and I can get a fiberglass one for $120 or so & have it painted for around $100 to look like chrome.

My Charger will never be a show car & to be honest that new bumper would make everything else look even worse.

The rear needs re chromed & the front I have is beat up bad.

Mate, for the extra hunge difference, I'd splash out for the steel bumper as it will be real chrome, not painted, and no regrets later on down the track.
Gotta love a '69

b5blue

areibel

Yup, go steel.  Imagine what happens to the grille if the glass bumper gets hit and breaks- a steel one will protect it better, keeping a minor bump from turning into a search for replacement grille pieces. 
And I have yet to see any paint that can really look like chrome.

kab69440

I'll give you one. You'll probably want to paint it or rechrome it, but it is a good core. I personally would run a piece of 3" schedule 80 over a fiberglass bumper.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Dino

Steel or fiberglass, the nose will look like a crumbled up cookie when you hit something over 25 so moot point.

Weight is not going to make any difference unless you are trying to shave off a nano second on the strip.

If you go fiberglass I'd paint the bumper, if you want chrome I'd save up and get the real deal.  These things are huge and chrome paint is not going to look good on it imo.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

areibel

Well, I wouldn't consider anything 25 or over a minor bump?
But get on a hill at a traffic light behind the hipster that hasn't quite mastered the clutch in his new Hyundai and you'll see what I mean!

Dino

Quote from: areibel on March 27, 2013, 12:06:01 PM
Well, I wouldn't consider anything 25 or over a minor bump?
But get on a hill at a traffic light behind the hipster that hasn't quite mastered the clutch in his new Hyundai and you'll see what I mean!

:smilielol:

Yeah the Charger doesn't flinch for those.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

areibel

Yeah, that's a "been there done that thing"- $1200 damage to the front of our old Caravan!  He kept telling us that there were only a few cracks in the plastic, shouldn't be more than $100 or so... He got a bit of a surprise.

greenpigs

I was off on the price for a fiberglass bumper, it's $180 & then shipping so when it comes time I guess a steel bumper will be what I purchase.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free