News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Throttle/Kickdown on SB w/ M1 Intake & Holley

Started by CornDogsCharger, March 25, 2013, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

My '66 Charger has a 360 small block with a single plane Mopar Perf M1 single plane intake with a 670 Holley Street Avenger carb on it. My question is, for anyone running this high rise setup, what did you do for the throttle cable and the kickdown setup? Whoever put this intake on the engine apparently was rushed and didn't take the time to do it right. They took the factory bracket and twisted it so it would "work" and the kickdown lever.... that is another story in itself. They cut and welded it back together and it looks VERY cheesy. I'm sure this has a lot to do with my kickdown not working like it should.

I'm really not crazy about using the single plane to be honest but I was just wondering what I should do in order to make it would properly. Is aftermarket throttle and kickdown cables my only resort? The biggest problem is the fact that it is a high rise. Thanks for any advice. Detailed pictures would be GREAT too!!! Thanks!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

mhinders

Hi Justin,
I just a few days ago made a new kickdown linkage for my 512 cui B-block with the M1 intake,  1967 Charger. You can easily do it with a low cost soft iron bar, see the attached pic. I did a little welding on the 90 degree bend, but it's not necessary, if you can't weld just bend it.

Haven't started on the throttle cable yet, but I plan to use the original short cable, and just extend it with a new piece of cable. I will most likely make a new bracket for it.
Don't know yet, but I may need to add a small roller to get the new piece of throttle cable to move correctly (since I have fuel rails etc stuff competing for the space...). That should not be a problem either, any simple little roller will do.

I have posted a few pictures here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.msg1172555.html#new

It's important for the longevity of the auto to have the correct function of the kickdown linkage.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Paul G

You can fiddle around with the linkage arms bending and trying to get them to work. They will end up too short after all the bending anyway.

I used this set up from Bouchillon.

http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEtkdcInstructionsNEW.asp

It completely solves the problem of the carb being set up higher on the engine. The throttle cable and kick down cable both mount to the bracket. Kickdown is easily adjusted. Only problem is the $130 price. But it works. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#